Solve RLC Circuit Power Factor Problem: 3 x 10^3 Hz, 139V rms, 37.1A rms

In summary, when the power factor of an RLC circuit is equal to one, the circuit is at resonance. At a frequency of 3 x 10^3 Hz, the rms value of the voltage source is 139 Volts and the rms current in the circuit is 37.1 amps. The inductive reactance at this frequency is 47 Ohms and the capacitive reactance is also 47 Ohms. At 0.78 times the resonant frequency, the average power of the circuit is 126.8 watts.
yankeekd25

Homework Statement

When the power factor of RLC circuit is equal to one, the frequency of the voltage source is 3 x 10^3 Hz. The rms value of the voltage source is 139 Volts and at a frequency of 3 x 10^3 Hz, the rms current in the circuit is 37.1 amps. If the inductive reactance at 3 x 10^3 Hz is 47 Ohms, what is the average power of the circuit in Watts at 0.78 times the resonant frequency of the circuit?

Homework Equations

Pav= Irms Vrms cos theta
Irms= I/ rad 2
Vrms= V/rad 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to begin. I keep going in circles. The only thing I know is cos theta=1.
Can someone please help me out with this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
A complete solution is offered.

We assume a series RLC circuit since it wasn't specified and no diagram was included.

When the power factor is one the current is in phase with the voltage, the net reactance is zero, and the circuit is at resonance. Thus we are given the following facts for resonance conditions:
##f_o = 3~kHz##
##V_s = 139~V## (rms)
##I = 37.1 A## (rms)
##X_L = 47~Ω##

We can compute the inductance:
##L = \frac{X_L}{2 \pi f_o} = 2.493~mH##

At resonance the capacitive reactance will equal the inductive reactance, so:
##C = \frac{1}{2 \pi f_o X_L} = 1.129~μF##

The new operating frequency of the circuit is at ##f = 0.78 f_o = 2.340~kHz##. We'll use impedances to find the current and power under the new conditions. Note that the resistance doesn't change with frequency.

##Z_L = j 2 \pi f L = j36.660 Ω##
##Z_C = \frac{1}{j 2\pi f C} = -j60.256~Ω##

The net impedance of the series circuit is:
##Z = R + Z_L + Z_C = 3.747 - j23.596~Ω##

The current and power:
##I = \frac{V_s}{Z} = 0.912 + j5.746~A~~~## or ##~~~I = 5.818~A ~~ ∠80.98°##
##P = E I cos(Φ) = 126.8~W##

What is an RLC circuit and how does it relate to power factor?

An RLC circuit is a circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components affect the amount of reactive power in the circuit, which in turn affects the power factor.

What is the significance of the given frequency, voltage, and current values?

The given frequency of 3 x 10^3 Hz tells us the frequency at which the circuit is operating. The voltage of 139V rms and current of 37.1A rms indicate the root mean square values of the voltage and current in the circuit, which are important for calculating power factor.

How do I calculate power factor in an RLC circuit?

Power factor in an RLC circuit can be calculated by dividing the resistance (R) by the impedance (Z), where Z = √(R^2 + (X_L - X_C)^2). X_L is the inductive reactance and X_C is the capacitive reactance, which can be calculated using the given frequency and values of the inductor and capacitor.

What is the ideal power factor for an RLC circuit?

The ideal power factor for an RLC circuit is 1, which indicates that the circuit has no reactive power and all power is being used efficiently.

How can I improve the power factor in an RLC circuit?

To improve power factor in an RLC circuit, you can add power factor correction devices such as capacitors or inductors to the circuit. These components can help balance out the reactive power and improve the overall efficiency of the circuit.