RLC Circuits - Resonant Frequency, Power

In summary, the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit is when the current is maximized and the impedance is at its minimum. This is calculated by solving for x in terms of Power_Maximum, Omega_0, and L.
fogel1497

Homework Statement

An AC circuit consists of an alternative emf of 1 V connected to a resistor of 500
Ohms, an inductance of 0.4 mH, and two capacitors connected in parallel of 50 pF
each, We want to find the resonance frequency of this circuit, the maximum power
dissipated by the resistance, and at what frequencies ω will it be half as large.
a. Draw the circuit and includes all the relevant quantities for this problem. What
quantities do you need to find ω0, Pmax, and ω’s? (10 pts)
b. What concepts and equations will you use to solve this problem? (5 pts)
c. Solve for ω0, Pmax, and ω’s in term of symbols. (15 pts)
d. Solve for ω0, Pmax, and ω’s in term of numbers. (5 pts)
e. Verify the units, and verify if your values are plausible. (5 pts).

Homework Equations

1. omega_0 = 1/((LC)^.5) *omega_0 is resonant frequency*
2. Power Maximum = [root mean sqaure of (V^2)]/R
3. Power = (Power Maximum)(x^2)/(x^2 + Q^2(x^2-1)^2)
4. x = omega / omega_0
5. Z=(R^2 + (X_L - X_C)^2)^.5

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I just have a normal AC circuit with a 500 ohm resistor and .4mH inductor in series, followed by two 50pF capacitors in paralell.
b. This is pretty much covered in my relevant equations section above.

c. omega_0 = 1/((L)(C_1+C_2))
I put this down because I'm given L and the total capacitance of two capacitors in series is just their sum.

In an RLC circuit, maximum power occurs at the resonant frequency. Thats because the current is maximized when impedance is at a minimum. And the impedance is at a minimum at the resonant frequency, (X_L and X_C are equal and cancel out, leaving the impedance equal to R. So:

Power_Maximum = (I^2)*R = Power Maximum = [root mean sqaure of (V^2)]/R

Then to find omega, (the frequency when power is at half its maximum) I said:

(1/2)Power_Maximum = (Power Maximum)(x^2)/(x^2 + Q^2(x^2-1)^2)
What I want to do is solve for x in terms of everything else, then substitute x=omega/omega_0 and Q=(omega_0)(L)/R

The problem with that is i don't know the algebra to do that, and even if i did I am not sure that is correct. Part d and e follow if i can get part c. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Fogel. I'm no expert on this, but am interested and may be able to help with the algebra before your post falls off the first page. It looks fairly easy to solve your equation
(1/2)Power_Maximum = (Power Maximum)(x^2)/(x^2 + Q^2(x^2-1)^2)
for x. If you cancel out the Power-Maximum's and multiply both sides by the denominator you soon end up with
Q²(x²)² - (2Q²+1)x² + Q² = 0
If you replace x² with y you just have a quadratic equation in y that can be solved with the quadratic formula. Only a positive solution is useful and only positive values of x itself are possible since x = ω/ωo.

Thanks for your reply, i'd like some verification by someone on my physics if anyone can help.

1. What is the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit is the frequency at which the impedance of the circuit is at its minimum value. It is calculated using the formula: fr = 1/(2π√(LC)), where fr is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance of the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the circuit.

2. How does the resonant frequency affect the power in an RLC circuit?

At the resonant frequency, the power in an RLC circuit is at its maximum value. This is because at this frequency, the impedance of the circuit is at its lowest, allowing maximum flow of current through the circuit. This results in a higher power output.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel RLC circuits?

In a series RLC circuit, the components (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) are connected in a single loop, meaning that the current flows through each component in succession. In a parallel RLC circuit, the components are connected in parallel branches, meaning that the current is divided between each component. This results in different impedance and resonance characteristics for each type of circuit.

4. How does the quality factor (Q) of an RLC circuit affect its resonance?

The quality factor of an RLC circuit determines the sharpness of the resonance peak. A higher Q value means a sharper resonance peak, meaning that the circuit is more selective in letting a specific frequency pass through. A lower Q value means a wider resonance peak, meaning that the circuit is less selective and allows a wider range of frequencies to pass through.

5. Can an RLC circuit have multiple resonant frequencies?

Yes, an RLC circuit can have multiple resonant frequencies. This is known as a multi-resonant circuit. In this case, the circuit will have multiple peaks in its frequency response curve, with each peak corresponding to a different resonant frequency. The number of resonant frequencies depends on the values of the circuit components and their arrangement (series or parallel).