1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket dynamics

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    The weight of a rocket is 80kN at the instant it takes off , and the products of the combusion are ejected at a velocity of 0.60 kms-1 relative to the rocket. Calculate the rate at which the rocket must be consuming fuel in order to take off vertically. Ans: 134kgs-1

Cant find a solution despite numerous attempt , anyone can help ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF icymage,

Could you perhaps detail your attemps to that we can see where your going wrong?

4. Apr 28, 2008 #3
    hmm i tried using the equation f = m(dv/dt) + v (dm/dt) and p = mv and i cant get the answer. Anw this isnt coursework/schoolwork it is a question i stumbled upon on a old textbook of mine.

5. Apr 28, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take a look at this excellent Rocket Dynamics Tutorial by D_H, and see if it helps clarify things.

6. Apr 28, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi icymage! Welcome to PF! :smile:

This isn't really a caluclus question … it would be if you were asked to find the fuel used to reach a certain time, for example … but you're only asked for the initial fuel used while the speed is zero.

Hint: how much acceleration does the fuel have to produce before the rocket lifts off?

how much mass and velocity produce that acceleration? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?