Rocket Fuel Consumption: Calculation of 80kN Takeoff Rate

In summary, the rate at which the rocket must be consuming fuel in order to take off vertically is 134kgs-1. This can be found by calculating the acceleration needed for the rocket to lift off and then finding the mass and velocity needed to produce that acceleration.
icymage
The weight of a rocket is 80kN at the instant it takes off , and the products of the combusion are ejected at a velocity of 0.60 kms-1 relative to the rocket. Calculate the rate at which the rocket must be consuming fuel in order to take off vertically. Ans: 134kgs-1

Cant find a solution despite numerous attempt , anyone can help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF icymage,

Could you perhaps detail your attemps to that we can see where your going wrong?

hmm i tried using the equation f = m(dv/dt) + v (dm/dt) and p = mv and i can't get the answer. Anw this isn't coursework/schoolwork it is a question i stumbled upon on a old textbook of mine.

icymage said:
hmm i tried using the equation f = m(dv/dt) + v (dm/dt) and p = mv and i can't get the answer. Anw this isn't coursework/schoolwork it is a question i stumbled upon on a old textbook of mine.
Take a look at this excellent https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=199087" by D_H, and see if it helps clarify things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF!

icymage said:
hmm i tried using the equation f = m(dv/dt) + v (dm/dt) and p = mv and i can't get the answer.

Hi icymage! Welcome to PF! :smile:

This isn't really a caluclus question … it would be if you were asked to find the fuel used to reach a certain time, for example … but you're only asked for the initial fuel used while the speed is zero.

Hint: how much acceleration does the fuel have to produce before the rocket lifts off?

how much mass and velocity produce that acceleration? :smile:

What is rocket fuel consumption?

Rocket fuel consumption refers to the amount of fuel used by a rocket to generate the necessary thrust for takeoff and flight.

How is rocket fuel consumption calculated?

Rocket fuel consumption is calculated by dividing the total thrust of the rocket by the specific impulse of the fuel. This gives the rate of fuel consumption, typically measured in kilograms per second.

What is the significance of 80kN takeoff rate?

The 80kN takeoff rate represents the amount of thrust generated by the rocket during takeoff. It is a crucial factor in determining the amount of fuel needed for a successful launch.

What factors can affect rocket fuel consumption?

Several factors can affect rocket fuel consumption, including the weight of the rocket and its payload, the type of fuel used, the design of the rocket's engines, and the altitude and atmospheric conditions at the time of launch.

Why is it important to accurately calculate rocket fuel consumption?

Accurate calculation of rocket fuel consumption is crucial for a successful launch, as it ensures that the rocket has enough fuel to reach its destination and complete its mission. It also helps in cost estimation and overall efficiency of the rocket's performance.