1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket Equation Derivation

1. Nov 6, 2005 #1
    I'll write the equation first, and then state my problem with it.

mv=(m+dm)(v+dv)-dm(v-v')

The book says that in the term (m+dm), that dm is a negative quantity. If I believe this, then what about the -dm(v-v') term? Why is dm negative?

If I were to derive it I would have (m-dm) and +dm(v-v'), then I wouldn't have to say "dm" is a negative quantity. But if I use this method, then my result is different by a minus sign.

Will someone please explain this in a more intuitive sense. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

dm is negative because mass is being lost by the rocket. Of course, you're free to set up the momentum conservation either way. It might be helpful if in setting up your equations if you used absolute value signs around dm and write the explicit sign in front of it. You'll just have to be careful when you finally attempt to integrate the differential equation.

4. Nov 6, 2005 #3
    Using the textbook method their result: mdv=-v'dm

My method I get: mdv=v'dm

And if I were to integrate to find the velocity as a function of mass, I would integrate from m(t) to m. This is exactly opposite the textbook method, so I end up with the same result.

So does the differential form really matter then, if I am off by a negative? i.e. Would a professor be just in docking off points?

5. Nov 6, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A good prof wouldn't dock you if you make it clear what you are doing and it is valid.

6. Nov 7, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hi, brent:
    You might want to have a look at
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=72176
    where the issues of geometric systems (including the rocket equation) are dealt with in a general manner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?