Why is dm negative in the rocket equation derivation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of differential forms in the rocket equation, specifically the term (m+dm) and whether dm should be considered as a negative quantity. Some argue that using absolute value signs and explicitly stating the sign in front of dm can avoid confusion, while others suggest that it ultimately does not matter as long as the method is valid. The conversation also mentions a helpful resource for understanding geometric systems.
brentd49
I'll write the equation first, and then state my problem with it.

mv=(m+dm)(v+dv)-dm(v-v')

The book says that in the term (m+dm), that dm is a negative quantity. If I believe this, then what about the -dm(v-v') term? Why is dm negative?

If I were to derive it I would have (m-dm) and +dm(v-v'), then I wouldn't have to say "dm" is a negative quantity. But if I use this method, then my result is different by a minus sign.

Will someone please explain this in a more intuitive sense. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dm is negative because mass is being lost by the rocket. Of course, you're free to set up the momentum conservation either way. It might be helpful if in setting up your equations if you used absolute value signs around dm and write the explicit sign in front of it. You'll just have to be careful when you finally attempt to integrate the differential equation.

Using the textbook method their result: mdv=-v'dm

My method I get: mdv=v'dm

And if I were to integrate to find the velocity as a function of mass, I would integrate from m(t) to m. This is exactly opposite the textbook method, so I end up with the same result.

So does the differential form really matter then, if I am off by a negative? i.e. Would a professor be just in docking off points?

A good prof wouldn't dock you if you make it clear what you are doing and it is valid.

1. What is the rocket equation derivation?

The rocket equation derivation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the mass of a rocket and its velocity. It is used to calculate the speed and trajectory of a rocket as it travels through space.

2. How is the rocket equation derived?

The rocket equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By applying this law to a rocket's propulsion system, we can derive the rocket equation.

3. Why is the rocket equation important?

The rocket equation is important because it allows us to calculate the necessary mass and velocity of a rocket to reach a desired destination in space. It is also crucial in determining the amount of fuel needed for a rocket to reach its destination.

4. What factors affect the rocket equation?

The rocket equation is affected by several factors, including the mass of the rocket, the mass of the propellant, and the efficiency of the rocket's propulsion system. It is also influenced by external factors such as gravity and air resistance.

5. Can the rocket equation be applied to all types of rockets?

Yes, the rocket equation can be applied to all types of rockets, whether they are powered by chemical, nuclear, or electric propulsion. However, the specific values and calculations may vary depending on the type of rocket being used.