Rocket on a Spring: Solving for Speed and Compression

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a weather rocket generating thrust and being attached to a vertical spring. The problem has three parts, including finding the initial compression of the spring, the rocket's speed when stretched a certain distance, and its speed if it were not attached to the spring. The conversation also mentions using various equations and provides specific numbers for the problem. Ultimately, the conversation reveals a mistake in the calculation for the unattached case and references a solution manual for the textbook used.
wulfsdad

Homework Statement

This is generalized from problem # 11.52 from "Physics: For Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" By Randall D. Knight 2nd Ed.

An (M) kg weather rocket generates a thrust of (F) N. The rocket, pointing upward, is clamped to the top of a vertical spring. The bottom of the spring, whose spring constant is (K) N/m, is anchored to the ground.
There are 3 parts:

A) finding the spring's initial compression (y) with the rocket resting on it,
B) find rocket's speed (V) when spring is stretched (d) m, and
C) "For comparison, what would be the rocket's speed after traveling this distance if it weren't attached to the spring? "

Homework Equations

K[tex]_{f}[/tex] + U[tex]_{f}[/tex] + [tex]\Delta[/tex]E[tex]_{th}[/tex] = K[tex]_{i}[/tex] + U[tex]_{i}[/tex] + W[tex]_{ext}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta[/tex]K = W[tex]_{net}[/tex]

W = [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\vec{s}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part A: finding the spring's initial compression (y).

Mgy = Ky[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Mg = Ky [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] y = [tex]\frac{Mg}{K}[/tex]

Then part B: finding rockets speed (V) when the spring is stretched (d) m.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]MV[tex]^{2}[/tex] + Mg( y + d ) + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]Kd[tex]^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]Ky[tex]^{2}[/tex] + F( y + d )

So for part C: find the rocket's speed (v) after traveling this distance if it weren't attached to the spring?
I used the same equation as B but with the spring removed:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]MV[tex]^{2}[/tex] + Mg( y + d ) = F( y + d )

This was incorrect. I also tried it with just ( d ), instead of ( y + d ).
Then I tried reasoning that:

F = MA --> A = F/M

Then using kinematics:

2[tex]\frac{F}{M}[/tex]( y + d ) = v[tex]^{2}[/tex]

This was also incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
did you try solving the equations after plugging the value of y ?

Yes, I solved for V after plugging in y.
I believe that my error may be in assuming that the spring was removed, when the question ambiguously stated that the rocket was no longer attached to it. However, when I calculated
(1/2)(M)(V)^2 + (M)(g)( y + d ) = (1/2)(K)(y)^{2} + F( y + d )
I still got the wrong answer.

Last edited:
which book is this problem from ?

wulfsdad said:
This is generalized from problem # 11.52 from "Physics: For Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" By Randall D. Knight 2nd Ed.

If you'd like some numbers:
M = 11.2 kg
F = 200 N
K = 490 N/m
y = 22.4 cm
d = 38.0 cm
V = 2.37 m/s <--attached to spring
v = 3.45 m/s <--unattached to spring, this is the answer I'm trying to get

Hi, for the numbers given by you, I got V=3.12 m/s for the unattached case. I have downloaded the book mentioned by you in djvu format and the book uses different numbers. Did you just come up with your own numbers ?

For my class, we use <masteringphysics.com> to do the homework, which provides each student with unique numbers. The numbers I gave you are from that.
3.12 was one of the results I came up with too, that was marked as incorrect. 3.45 is the answer the program was expecting.

oh strange... let me check again...

Hi I found the mistake, I was assuming that in the unattached case, spring will bounce back
beyond its original equilibrium, so I didn't include the elastic potential energy term.
I also found the solution manual for the Knight's book. The manual agrees with my solution.
send me pm. I can send you the solution manual.

1. What is the formula for calculating a rocket's speed?

The formula for calculating a rocket's speed is speed = distance/time. This formula takes into account the distance the rocket has traveled and the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How do you convert a rocket's speed from meters per second to miles per hour?

To convert a rocket's speed from meters per second to miles per hour, you can use the conversion factor of 2.237. Multiply the speed in meters per second by 2.237 to get the equivalent speed in miles per hour.

3. How does air resistance affect a rocket's speed?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect a rocket's speed. As it travels through the atmosphere, the rocket experiences air resistance which can slow it down and decrease its speed. This is why rockets are designed with streamlined shapes and powerful engines to minimize the effects of air resistance.

4. Can a rocket's speed change during flight?

Yes, a rocket's speed can change during flight. This is because the rocket's engine produces thrust, which propels the rocket forward and increases its speed. Additionally, external factors like air resistance and gravity can also impact the rocket's speed.

5. How does the mass of a rocket affect its speed?

The mass of a rocket can have a significant impact on its speed. The greater the mass of the rocket, the more force is needed to accelerate it and increase its speed. This is why rockets are designed to be as light as possible, so that they can achieve higher speeds with less fuel consumption.