Rolling and Friction: Explaining the Paradox

In summary: The net torque is still RxT, where R is the radius of the wheel and T is the tension in the string. In summary, the existence of friction is necessary for the wheel to roll without slipping, but it is often ignored in calculations to simplify the problem. However, it is important to acknowledge the presence of friction and its effects on the motion of the wheel.
Chen
Suppose there's a wheel on the ground, radius R, and I'm pulling it with a string connected the top of the wheel with force T.

We know that if we want the wheel to roll, there has to be friction between the ground and the wheel. But at the same time we ignore that friction and say that the only force on the wheel is T, and the torque is:
N = RxT

So why do we require the existence of friction but also sort of ignore it? I know that it's correct I just want to understand why.

Thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure how you want the string to be attached, but to answer your question, we ignore friction so that you can neglect any minor losses which are due to it, but you need to know it does exist otherwise the wheel might slide before it rolls, and this isn't how you want to approach your problem.

here is the answer

you should appraoch the problem like this:
if friction is not there your sphere will slide because there is no force to ratate it about the centroidal axis.
here the friction that comes into effect is static friction which by it's defination does not do any work. That is the reason why we do not take friction into account while solving the motion's eqation.

The friction acts on the wheel to start it turning. You can calculate the force of friction from the acceleration of the axis and the moment of inertia of the wheel. This will definitely be a contribution to the force you called T. If you are pulling a wheel by a string, the force needed to start the wheel spinning is 1/3 the total force. This is the friction force and it definitely is not ignorable. In a sense, the static friction sets up the proportion of energy that ends up in rotational (Iomega^2/2) vs. translational (mv^2/2) (v here is the velocity of the c.of m.).

OTOH, if you are pulling a large vehicle where the mass is much larger than the mass of the wheels, you can often safely ignore this effect.

krab already answered, but I'll add my two cents.

Chen said:
We know that if we want the wheel to roll, there has to be friction between the ground and the wheel. But at the same time we ignore that friction and say that the only force on the wheel is T, and the torque is:
N = RxT
Cleary if a frictional force exists, you can't ignore it! The torque would not be RxT!

krab figured out the frictional force needed to have the wheel roll without slipping (F = T/3). In doing so, he treated the wheel as a cylinder or disk ([itex]I = 1/2mR^2[/itex]).

Just for fun, figure out the frictional force needed if you model the wheel as a ring ([itex]I = mR^2[/itex]).

If one lifts the wheel off the ground and then pulls the top part of the wheel
with a force T, it'll certainly rotate.
So how is this situation different from the wheel being on the ground+friction absent?

spacetime
www.geocities.com/physics_all/

Likes WinterGrascph
spacetime said:
If one lifts the wheel off the ground and then pulls the top part of the wheel
with a force T, it'll certainly rotate.
So how is this situation different from the wheel being on the ground+friction absent?
It's not different. If a friction force exists, it contributes to the net torque about the center of mass. The static friction simply prevents slipping between the wheel and the ground.

Related to Rolling and Friction: Explaining the Paradox

1. What is the "paradox" in rolling and friction?

The "paradox" in rolling and friction refers to the fact that a rolling object experiences less friction compared to a sliding object, even though both are in contact with a surface. This seems counterintuitive because one would expect the rolling object to have more contact points and therefore more friction.

2. How does rolling reduce friction?

Rolling reduces friction because it involves the rotation of an object, rather than sliding. This means that the contact points between the object and the surface are constantly changing, reducing the overall friction force. Additionally, rolling objects tend to have a smoother surface, further reducing the friction.

3. What is the role of surface roughness in rolling and friction?

Surface roughness plays a crucial role in determining the amount of friction experienced by a rolling object. A rough surface will cause the object to bounce and slide, increasing the friction. On the other hand, a smooth surface will allow the object to roll more easily, reducing the friction.

4. How does the shape of the rolling object affect friction?

The shape of a rolling object can also impact the amount of friction experienced. A round object, such as a ball, will have a smaller surface area in contact with the surface, reducing the friction. On the other hand, a flat object, such as a wheel, will have a larger surface area in contact with the surface, resulting in more friction.

5. Can the paradox of rolling and friction be explained by physics?

Yes, the paradox of rolling and friction can be explained by the laws of physics. The key factor is the distribution of forces on the object. In rolling, the forces acting on the object are spread out over a larger area, reducing the overall friction force. This is known as the "rolling resistance" and can be calculated and predicted using various equations and principles in physics.