1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling Friction and Bicycle Tires

1. Feb 5, 2006 #1
    my teacher Never went over this in class. ever. please help, thanks

Two bicycle tires are set rolling with the same initial speed of 3.70 m/s along a long, straight road, and the distance each travels before its speed is reduced by half is measured. One tire is inflated to a pressure of 40 psi and goes a distance of 18.4 m; the other is at 105 psi and goes a distance of 94.0 m. Assume that the net horizontal force is due to rolling friction only and take the free-fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2. What is the coefficient of rolling friction ur for the tire under low pressure?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2006 #2
    i tried to use this formula:

ur= v/[(d/v) x g]

and got

ur=.075, but it said i was wrong

^ what exactly does it mean to be off by a constant?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  4. Feb 5, 2006 #3
    anyone?

:frown:

5. Feb 5, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use the kinematic formula [itex]v = u + at [/itex] to obtain an acceleration. Then equate this with the force in [itex] F_r = \mu R [/itex]

6. Feb 5, 2006 #5
    hmm but the problem is that i dont have [itex]u[/itex]; that is actually what im looking for

7. Feb 5, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes you do, [itex]u[/itex] refers to the intial velocity. [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coeffiecent of friction. Sorry for the different symbols, its just the notation I'm used to.

8. Feb 5, 2006 #7
    o i see, but i still dont have time. and i dont really get what that "R" refers to. if its radius, i didnt get it in this problem

9. Feb 5, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

R is the normal reaction force, which is the product of the mass and the gravitational field strength.

10. Feb 5, 2006 #9
    i still dont understand since im not given mass

11. Feb 6, 2006 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Masses will cancel, this is the same process you used for the boy/swing/inclined plane question.
    [tex] ma = \mu mg [/tex]

12. Oct 17, 2007 #11
    so which equations did you use?

13. Sep 30, 2008 #12
    How do you know what time is? when using v = v + at..

14. Sep 30, 2008 #13

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looking back on this thread from two years ago, it would have been more appropriate to use the equation v2 = u2+2as. I don't know why I suggested the original one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?