How Does Rolling Resistance Affect Torque in a Sealpress Mechanism?

In summary, the force required to rotate a steel roller connected to an end of a cylinder is determined by the rolling resistance coefficient and the radius of the roller.
ram18
hi ,

I am going to design sealpress mechanism for rotary system . I need to find out how much torque required to rotate my steel roller which is connected to end of my cylinder. from wikipedia i find out rolling resistance =

The force of rolling resistance, not adjusted for velocity, can be calculated by[3]:
F = Crr x Nf

where

F is the rolling resistance force (shown in figure 1),
Crr is the dimensionless rolling resistance coefficient or coefficient of rolling friction (CRF), and
Nf is the normal force (equal to W shown in figure 1, not just N shown in figure 1).
The coefficient of rolling friction for a slow rigid wheel, not adjusted for velocity, can be calculated by[1][2]

Crr = Sqr of z/d
where

z is the sinkage depth
d is the diameter of the rigid wheel
The force of rolling resistance can also be calculated by[1]:

F= Nf Xb/r

where

F is the rolling resistance force (shown in figure 1),
r is the wheel radius,
b is the rolling resistance coefficient or coefficient of rolling friction with dimension of length, and
Nf is the normal force (equal to W shown in figure 1, not just N shown in figure 1).

In my case I have steel roller and i am going to press buna(rubber) seal by roller .

So if i assume b = 0.4 inch , r = 1.75 , nf =500 pound

F = Nf x b /r = 500x 0.4 / 1.75 = 114.28 pound
so torque = force x radius = 114.28 x 1.75 = 199.99 inch-lb

If i change the radius of roller r = 2.25

F = Nf x b / r = 500x 0.4 / 2.25 = 88.88 pound

Torque = 88.88 x 2.25 = 199.99 inch -lb

so i got same torque that means radius of roller doesn't effect of torque . i am confused about that so please give me some right direction .

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ram18 said:
hi ,
so i got same torque that means radius of roller doesn't effect of torque . i am confused about that so please give me some right direction

Kind of makes sense that it wouldn't affect torque. But don't forget that a larger roller will need fewer revs to cover the same distance, so it'll use less power at the same sealing speed. I assume you have a motor driving the roller's axle and not just pushing it by the cylinder.

yes i put motor to roller's axle.

hey my roller width is 18 inch so how can i use that in my equation . i think i need more torque becoz of that can anyone help me on that.

ram18 said:
hey my roller width is 18 inch so how can i use that in my equation . i think i need more torque becoz of that can anyone help me on that.

The same equations should still give you the torque. But the normal force would be higher with a wider roller to achieve the same deformation depth. You'd have to do an elasticity calculation to work out how much normal force is required.

thanks unrest . which elasticity calculation work here ?

ram18 said:
thanks unrest . which elasticity calculation work here ?

Yea somewhere you'll have to work out the relationship between force and deformation. It'll be tricky to do it very accurately because of the non-linear elasticity of rubber.

I'd start by treating the material as a rectangular block with about the area of the projected area of the roller. Have it compressed uniformly into a thinner rectangular block. Then you can just use pressure=stress=elastic modulus * strain.

To do it properly and account for the curved shape you'd probably need to do a non-linear (because it's rubber and because you don't know the area in contact with the roller) finite element analysis.

I guess there are probably books of data and approximate formulas for this type of problem tho, because it must be a very common one.

Related to How Does Rolling Resistance Affect Torque in a Sealpress Mechanism?

1. What is rolling resistance?

Rolling resistance is the force that opposes the motion of a wheel or other rotating object when it comes into contact with a surface. It is caused by the deformation of the object and the surface it is rolling on.

2. How does rolling resistance affect the efficiency of a vehicle?

Rolling resistance can significantly impact the efficiency of a vehicle as it requires more energy to overcome this force and maintain motion. This means that a vehicle with higher rolling resistance will consume more fuel and have lower overall efficiency.

3. What factors contribute to rolling resistance?

There are several factors that contribute to rolling resistance, including the type and condition of the surface the object is rolling on, the weight and design of the object, and the speed at which it is rolling.

4. What is the relationship between rolling resistance and torque?

Rolling resistance and torque have an inverse relationship - as rolling resistance increases, torque must also increase to maintain the same level of motion. This is because more torque is needed to overcome the force of rolling resistance.

5. How can rolling resistance be reduced?

Rolling resistance can be reduced by using tires with low rolling resistance, maintaining proper tire pressure, and choosing smooth and well-maintained road surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight and improving the design of the object can also decrease rolling resistance.