Rolling without slipping physics

In summary, at a particular instant when the bicycle is moving in a straight line with a speed of v, the point at the very top of the front wheel has a speed of 2v, a point on the outer edge of the front wheel at the same vertical level as the center of the wheel has a speed of v, and the point at the very bottom of the front wheel has a speed of 0.
Phanatic 12

Homework Statement

After fixing your bicycle, you go for a ride on it along the path by the Charles River. At all times, your wheels roll without slipping. At a particular instant, you are traveling in a straight line with a speed of v.

I can't figure out part B

Homework Equations

part A asked: At that instant, the point at the very top of the front wheel has a speed of v multiplied by __________?

Part B asked: At that instant, a point on the outer edge of the front wheel, which is at the same vertical level as the center of the wheel, has a speed of v multiplied by _______?Part C asked At that instant, the point at the very bottom of the front wheel has a speed of v multiplied by _________?

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A my answer was 2 and was correct

For part B my answer was 1 and was incorrect

For part C my answer was 0 and was correct

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phanatic 12 said:

Homework Statement

After fixing your bicycle, you go for a ride on it along the path by the Charles River. At all times, your wheels roll without slipping. At a particular instant, you are traveling in a straight line with a speed of v.

I can't figure out part B

Homework Equations

part A asked: At that instant, the point at the very top of the front wheel has a speed of v multiplied by my
answer was 2 and was correct

Part B asked: At that instant, a point on the outer edge of the front wheel, which is at the same vertical level as the center of the wheel, has a speed of v multiplied by
my answer was 1 and was incorrect

Part C asked At that instant, the point at the very bottom of the front wheel has a speed of v multiplied by
my answer was 0 and was correct

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A my answer was 2 and was correct

For part B my answer was 1 and was incorrect

For part C my answer was 0 and was correct

The bottom of the wheel is in contact with the ground, so cannot be moving with respect to the ground. So you got that correct.

The motion of the front and back of the wheel is what with respect to the ground? It's all vertical motion, with no horizontal motion, I think...

berkeman said:
The motion of the front and back of the wheel is what with respect to the ground? It's all vertical motion, with no horizontal motion, I think...

The velocity of that point is vertical (and with speed v) with respect to the centre af the wheel. The centre of the wheel moves forward horizontally with speed v with respect to the ground. The velocity of the point on the rim is the vector resultant of the vertical and horizontal velocities. The speed is the magnitude of this velocity.

ehild

They are looking for a numerical answer (the coeficient of v).

Calculate it.

ehild

ehild said:
The velocity of that point is vertical (and with speed v) with respect to the centre af the wheel. The centre of the wheel moves forward horizontally with speed v with respect to the ground. The velocity of the point on the rim is the vector resultant of the vertical and horizontal velocities. The speed is the magnitude of this velocity.

ehild

Ah, that helps. Thanks!

1. What is rolling without slipping in physics?

Rolling without slipping is a type of motion in which an object, such as a wheel or a ball, moves forward while also rotating about its own axis without slipping or sliding.

2. How is rolling without slipping different from rolling with slipping?

In rolling without slipping, the point of contact between the object and the surface it is rolling on is stationary, while in rolling with slipping, the point of contact is moving. This means that rolling without slipping requires less friction to maintain its motion compared to rolling with slipping.

3. What is the relationship between rolling without slipping and the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the amount of friction needed to prevent an object from slipping on a surface. In the case of rolling without slipping, the coefficient of static friction determines the maximum speed at which an object can roll without slipping on a given surface.

4. Can an object roll without slipping on any surface?

No, an object can only roll without slipping on surfaces with enough friction to prevent slipping. If the surface is too smooth or there is not enough friction, the object will either slip or roll with slipping.

5. How does the shape of an object affect its ability to roll without slipping?

The shape of an object can affect its ability to roll without slipping in a few ways. A round object, such as a ball, is able to roll without slipping more easily than an object with flat sides, as it has a smaller point of contact with the ground. Additionally, the distribution of mass in an object can affect its rotational inertia, which can impact its ability to roll without slipping.