Solver's Guide: Finding Least Number of Positive Roots in a Equation

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a polynomial with n positive roots and finding the least value of n for which a specific expression is negative. The conversation includes different approaches to solving the problem, including using AM-GM inequality and Descartes' rule. The final solution is found to be 6, with a brief explanation of the reasoning behind it provided.
zorro

Homework Statement

If equation https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32867&stc=1&d=1299509982 has n positive roots, then least value of n for which a2 + a3 is negative, is

The Attempt at a Solution

Time allotted is 1 minute.
I have no idea of solving such questions.

Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry I missed out the equation. PF was slow at that time and I could not check my post.

It is xn - nxn-1 + a2xn-2 + a3xn-3 + ...an-1x + (-1)n = 0

I'm unsure myself, but I'll see if I can shed some light on the problem and hopefully someone else can carry on from there. By the way, I'm not even sure if this will be helping at all with the answer - I'm pretty much just throwing some ideas and relationships out there to see if it will lead to anything.

[tex]x^n-nx^{n-1}+a_2x^{n-2}+a_3x^{n-3}+...+a_{n-1}x+(-1)^n=0[/tex]

Since this polynomial of nth degree has n positive roots, then it is equivalent to

[tex](x-r_1)(x-r_2)...(x-r_n)=0[/tex]

where ri are the roots and [itex]r_i>0, i=1,2,...,n[/itex]

If we were to expand out the constant from the factored form, we would get

[tex](-1)^nr_1r_2r_3...r_n[/tex]

and this is equivalent to the constant in the polynomial, so we have

[tex](-1)^nr_1r_2r_3...r_n\equiv (-1)^n[/tex]

thus

[tex]r_1r_2r_3...r_n=1[/tex]

Similarly if you expanded the factored form to get the coefficient of xn-1 you'll get

[tex]r_1+r_2+...+r_n=n[/tex]

Now I'll sit here and think some more about it...

Awful, not very well defined question. I mean, am I allowed to say it's a quadratic? - i.e. a3 doesn't exist - which is different from saying it's zero. Am I allowed to say a2 doesn't exist either?

If so it's fairly easy. But if this a3 is meant to imply it's at least a cubic it's a bit more difficult. Try and answer whether it can be quadratic and whether can be cubic too, or if not try the next number, too and submit more than one with "if is meant..." Anyway I think you're meant to work up from a small number like that.

Descartes' rule tells you something about whether it might or could not be or whether it might be though not whether it is. It would take me more than a minute to tell whether it is for n=3. The first and second terms of the poly are suggesting you compare with (x - 1)n .

Maybe with these hints you can construct a polynomial with the properties asked.

I figured out a 30 second method to work this out with someone else's help. Let me post it so that you both can learn from it o:)

Let us assume that the n positive roots are r1, r2, r3...rn

We have r1 + r2 + r3...+rn = n
Using A.M.>=G.M.

(r1 + r2 + r3...+rn)/n >=(r1.r2.r3...rn)1/n
which implies that (r1.r2.r3...rn)<=1

From the equation we can see that the product of the roots is 1, which is also proved by Mentallic.
So equality will hold when all of them are equal to 1.

This leaves us with nC3 > nC2
which gives 6 as the answer.

Abdul Quadeer said:
I figured out a 30 second method to work this out with someone else's help. Let me post it so that you both can learn from it o:)

Let us assume that the n positive roots are r1, r2, r3...rn

We have r1 + r2 + r3...+rn = n
Using A.M.>=G.M.

(r1 + r2 + r3...+rn)/n >=(r1.r2.r3...rn)1/n
which implies that (r1.r2.r3...rn)<=1

From the equation we can see that the product of the roots is 1, which is also proved by Mentallic.
So equality will hold when all of them are equal to 1.

This leaves us with nC3 > nC2
which gives 6 as the answer.

That's clever. Not only to solve the problem like that but to craftily engineer a problem which is so exactly solved by the boundary case of AM-GM. I hate problems like that. Thanks for reporting back!

1. What is a root in math?

A root in math refers to the inverse operation of exponentiation. It is the number that, when multiplied by itself a certain number of times, results in a given number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5 because 5 multiplied by itself (5 x 5) equals 25.

2. How do you solve a root math problem?

To solve a root math problem, you can use a calculator or manual methods such as prime factorization or estimating by trial and error. For higher order roots, you can also use the exponentiation method by raising a number to the reciprocal of the root. For example, to find the cube root of 125, you can raise 125 to the power of 1/3 which equals 5.

3. What is the difference between a square root and a cube root?

A square root is the second root of a number, meaning the number that when multiplied by itself results in the given number. A cube root is the third root of a number, meaning the number that when multiplied by itself three times results in the given number. In general, a root with an index of n is the number that when multiplied by itself n times results in the given number.

4. Can you have a negative root?

Yes, you can have a negative root. However, it only applies to even root indices (such as square roots). The result of a negative root will be a negative number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, but the square root of -25 is -5.

5. How are roots related to exponents?

Roots and exponents are inverse operations of each other. This means that if a number is raised to an exponent and then the root of the same index is taken, the result will be the original number. For example, if 2 is squared (2 x 2), the result is 4. Taking the square root of 4 will give you 2, the original number.