Can We Rotate the Earth with a Rocket?

In summary, the amount of energy needed to rotate the Earth about an equatorial axis is approximately 229 J. This takes into account the Earth's mass and radius, as well as its angular velocity. However, if the goal is simply to nudge the equator a little, the energy required would be significantly less.
ibeukema
Hi,

My roommate and I were wondering how much energy is needed to rotate the Earth about an equitorial axis. Just as a fun experiment to get Holland into the sun.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy in a rotating body is 1/2 I w2
w is in rad/s so the Earth is rotating at about 2pi/24*3600 = 72uRad/s
I for a solid sphere is 2mr2/5

The mass of the Earth is 6x1024 kg and the radius is about 6*106m

So total energy is = 6x1024*6*106*6*106 * 72*10-6 *72*10-6 /5 = 229 J

Edit, although if you don't want to stop it, just nudge the equator a little it would be a lot less.

Last edited:
his question was about rotating the Earth about an equatorial axis, not polar axis.

For this, you have to consider that you are going against the force of the Earth's angular momentum vector.

I haven't the desire to calculate it, but suffice to say that it is far more than all the king's horses and all the king's men would ever be able to conjure.

1. How can a rocket rotate the earth?

A rocket can rotate the earth by using its powerful engines to generate thrust and push against the earth's surface. This thrust creates a torque that can cause the earth to rotate.

2. Will the rotation of the earth change if a rocket lands on it?

Yes, the rotation of the earth will be affected if a rocket lands on it. The rocket's mass and force exerted on the earth's surface will alter the earth's rotational speed and direction.

3. Can a rocket stop or reverse the rotation of the earth?

No, a rocket does not have enough power to stop or reverse the rotation of the earth. The earth is a massive object, and it would require an immense amount of force to alter its rotation.

4. Is it possible to use a rocket to speed up the earth's rotation?

Technically, yes, a rocket could speed up the earth's rotation if it has enough power and is strategically placed on the earth's surface. However, such a feat would require an enormous amount of energy, and the consequences could be catastrophic.

5. Would rotating the earth with a rocket have any negative effects?

Yes, rotating the earth with a rocket could have severe negative effects. It could alter the earth's axis, causing changes in the climate and weather patterns. It could also lead to earthquakes and other natural disasters. Additionally, it could disrupt the earth's orbit and have significant consequences for all life on earth.