Rotate Spool: Massless Inner Cylinder & Uniform Cylinders

• Thread starter Adriano25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spool made of two solid, uniform cylinders connected by a massless inner cylinder. The participants discuss the direction of rotation of the spool and consider factors such as friction and the length of the string. The conclusion is that, with sufficient friction and no slipping, the spool will rotate clockwise due to the torque from the frictional force.
Adriano25

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 5.22.42 PM.png

Spool made of two outer disks of radius R2 which are solid, uniform cylinders, which are connected by a massless inner cylinder of radius .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just have a quick question. If the mass is going down, the tension in the string would make the spool rotate counterclockwise correct? Does that mean that the spool is rotating in a counterclockwise motion while is going to the right?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
One suggestion is to work the problem with the origin at the place where the spool makes contact with the table. Then there is no torque from the frictional force. One thing you might assume is that there is sufficient friction to prevent sliding. Otherwise, it could spin the other way. Additional info could be supplied, such as the mass of the spool and the coefficient of friction, etc.

Right. I'm just a little confused in why the torque from the tension force is opposite to the rotation of the spool.

Adriano25 said:
Right. I'm just a little confused in why the torque from the tension force is opposite to the rotation of the spool.
With sufficient friction I think you will find it rotates clockwise. The problem is non-trivial though, and I would need to write out the equations to see what happens. In the case of slipping, the amount of slipping could vary considerably, depending on the frictional force. With sufficient frictional force and/or no slipping, I believe it rotates clockwise. The rolling motion can also be considered to be an instantaneous rotation about the point of contact with the table if no slipping is occurring. ## \\ ## In the case of slipping, I think you could compute the torques about the center of mass to see which way it rotates. If the frictional force is small or zero, clearly it rotates counterclockwise.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I'm assuming it's rolling without slipping. I get that the spool is rotated clockwise, but when we compute the torque for tension, why is it making it rotate counterclockwise? Is it because of the way that a spool works?

Likes Charles Link
Adriano25 said:
Thanks for your replies. Yes, I'm assuming it's rolling without slipping. I get that the spool is rotated clockwise, but when we compute the torque for tension, why is it making it rotate counterclockwise? Is it because of the way that a spool works?
Please read the addition to my last post. Additional item is without slipping, I think you will find the torque when computed about the center of mass makes it rotate the other way because the frictional force is in the other direction and R2 is larger than R1 so it adds more clockwise torque than the inner string's counterclockwise torque. ## \\ ## There are two equations to write for the motion: The sum (or difference) of the two forces equals "ma" and the torque equation for the rotating motion. Without any slipping, these two equations are connected by the additional equation that the rotating motion equals the distance traveled. In any case, I think the string length will also enter into the solution to see how hard the hanging mass tugs depending on the acceleration of the mass, etc.

Last edited:
Likes Adriano25
Oh I get it now. Thanks!

Likes Charles Link
Adriano25 said:
Oh I get it now. Thanks!
Please read the additions to my very last post.

Likes Adriano25
Great explanation. Thanks.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is a "Rotate Spool"?

A rotate spool is a type of mechanical device that consists of a massless inner cylinder and uniform cylinders that are stacked on top of each other. The inner cylinder is free to rotate, while the outer cylinders remain stationary.

2. How does a "Rotate Spool" work?

The massless inner cylinder rotates due to the friction between it and the stationary outer cylinders. This friction causes the inner cylinder to rotate in the opposite direction of the outer cylinders.

3. What is the purpose of a "Rotate Spool"?

A rotate spool has multiple purposes, including transferring power or torque between two shafts, controlling the speed or direction of rotation, and providing a mechanical advantage for lifting heavy objects.

4. What are the applications of a "Rotate Spool"?

Rotate spools are commonly used in various mechanical systems, such as engines, transmissions, and conveyor systems. They can also be found in everyday objects like fishing reels and pencil sharpeners.

5. What are the advantages of using a "Rotate Spool"?

One of the main advantages of using a rotate spool is its ability to transfer power or torque between two shafts while allowing for speed and direction control. It also has a simple design and can be easily incorporated into various mechanical systems.