Rotating and Nonrotating Rods Superposed

• Thread starter PeachBanana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary, the angular frequency of the combination of a uniform disk and a nonrotating rod, of the same mass and length, dropped onto the freely spinning disk is approximately 2.2 rev/s. This is found by equating the initial and final angular momentum expressions and solving for the new angular velocity. The initial moment of inertia is 1/2 Mr^2 and the final moment of inertia is 5/6 Mr^2.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

A uniform disk turns at 3.7 rev/s around a frictionless spindle. A nonrotating rod, of the same mass as the disk and length equal to the disk's diameter, is dropped onto the freely spinning disk . They then both turn around the spindle with their centers superposed. What is the angular frequency in rev/s of the combination?

Homework Equations

L = Iω

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to relate the angular velocity to this but I don't think that's the correct approach. For example, on my second attempt I had:

ω = L / (1/6)(M)(l)^2

(3.7 rev/s)(6) = 22.2 rev/s

I'm having trouble finding a connection.

Attachments

• RotatingNonrotatingRods.jpg
    RotatingNonrotatingRods.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 976
Physics news on Phys.org
Think inelastic collision angular style!

I'll try to explain this without it turning into a complete mess. I still thought of L = Iω and assumed it would be conserved. I made two equations:

L = (1/12)Mr^2 * 3.7 rev./s

L = ((1/12)Mr^2 + (1/12)Mr^2) * ω

So then I tried to make a proportion.

L1 / L2 = 0.30833 rev./s * Mr^2
---------------------
(1/6 Mr^2) * ω6 Mr^2 * ω L1 = L2 * 0.30833 rev./s * Mr^2

ω = L2 * 0.30833 rev./s * Mr^2
---------------------------
L1 * 6 Mr^2

I assumed momentum was conserved which I why I though L2 and L1 canceled. For ω, I got 5.138 * 10 ^-2 rev./s which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
PeachBanana said:
I'll try to explain this without it turning into a complete mess. I still thought of L = Iω and assumed it would be conserved. I made two equations:

L = (1/12)Mr^2 * 3.7 rev./s

L = ((1/12)Mr^2 + (1/12)Mr^2) * ω
One problem here: the expression for the moment of inertia of a disk is not the same as that of a thin rod. Use the expression for a disk to determine the system's angular momentum. Use a common measure for the radius of the disk and the length of the rod (so if the disk's radius is r, then the rod's length is 2r).
So then I tried to make a proportion.

L1 / L2 = 0.30833 rev./s * Mr^2
---------------------
(1/6 Mr^2) * ω

6 Mr^2 * ω L1 = L2 * 0.30833 rev./s * Mr^2

ω = L2 * 0.30833 rev./s * Mr^2
---------------------------
L1 * 6 Mr^2

I assumed momentum was conserved which I why I though L2 and L1 canceled. For ω, I got 5.138 * 10 ^-2 rev./s which doesn't make a lot of sense.

You won't need to make a proportion if you simply equate the expression for the angular momentum after collision to the expression before. You should find that in solving for the new angular velocity that a LOT of stuff is going to cancel out :wink:

Ok. I think I have this figured out.

The initial moment of inertia is just the disk. 1/2 Mr^2.
Once the disk is added, the final moment of inertia is 1/12 M (2r)^2 + 1/2 Mr^2 = 5/6 Mr^2.

So now I can make an equation relating the two:

3.7 rev./s (1/2 Mr^2) = 5/6 Mr^2 * ω
ω final ≈ 2.2 rev./s

PeachBanana said:
Ok. I think I have this figured out.

The initial moment of inertia is just the disk. 1/2 Mr^2.
Once the disk is added, the final moment of inertia is 1/12 M (2r)^2 + 1/2 Mr^2 = 5/6 Mr^2.

So now I can make an equation relating the two:

3.7 rev./s (1/2 Mr^2) = 5/6 Mr^2 * ω
ω final ≈ 2.2 rev./s

That looks much better! :smile:

1. What is the concept of "Rotating and Nonrotating Rods Superposed"?

The concept of "Rotating and Nonrotating Rods Superposed" is a theoretical framework in physics that describes the behavior of a rod that is rotating and stationary at the same time. It is a combination of two separate physical phenomena and is used to analyze the motion and forces acting on such a rod.

2. How is the motion of a rotating and nonrotating rod different from a purely rotating or stationary rod?

The motion of a rotating and nonrotating rod is a combination of rotational and translational motion. This means that the rod will both rotate around its axis and move in a straight line. In contrast, a purely rotating rod will only rotate, while a purely stationary rod will not have any motion at all.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a rotating and nonrotating rod?

The behavior of a rotating and nonrotating rod is affected by several factors, including the angular velocity of rotation, the linear velocity of translation, the length and mass of the rod, and the distribution of mass along the rod. These factors determine the forces acting on the rod and its resulting motion.

4. How is the net force calculated for a rotating and nonrotating rod?

The net force on a rotating and nonrotating rod is calculated by considering the rotational and translational motion separately. The forces causing rotation are calculated using the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration, while the forces causing translation are calculated using the mass and linear acceleration. The net force is then the vector sum of these two forces.

5. What are some real-world applications of the concept of rotating and nonrotating rods superposed?

The concept of rotating and nonrotating rods superposed has several real-world applications, including the analysis of helicopter rotors, propellers, and wind turbines. It is also used in the development of mechanical devices such as gears and pulleys, and in the study of celestial bodies such as rotating planets and moons.