Rotating Bodies Around Origin: Analyzing Motion & Dynamics

In summary, the problem involves two bodies of equal masses initially at rest, with coordinates that satisfy a given relationship. The goal is to show that the bodies rotate around the origin while maintaining a fixed distance between them. The attempt at a solution involves finding the accelerations of the bodies, but it is not clear how the time variable fits into the problem. The given question may provide more information and clarification.
Silviu

Homework Statement

Hello! I have 2 bodies initially at rest, of equal masses with the distance between them a and coordinates ##(a cos(\theta),a sin(\theta))## and ##(-a cos(\theta),-a sin(\theta))##. If we denote ##a_x## and ##a_y## the horizontal and vertical distance between them they satisfy a relationship which gets reduced to what I write in 3. Show that they rotate around the origin (keeping the distance between them fixed)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac{d^2 a_x}{dt^2} = A(1+i)\omega^2e^{-i\omega t}## and ##\frac{d^2 a_y}{dt^2} = A(-1+i)\omega^2e^{-i\omega t}##. So I get ##a_x = A(1+i)e^{-i \omega t}+Bt+D## and ##a_y = A(-1+i)e^{-i \omega t}+Et+F##. If I put the condition to be stationary in the beginning (t=0), I get ##B=A(1+i)## and ##E=A(-1+i)## But I am kinda stuck. What should I do from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Where on Earth does your first = in the attempt come from ? There is no mention of ##t## at all in your problem statement !?
Silviu said:
they satisfy a relationship which gets reduced to what I write in 3
Which one (what relationship) ? Says who ?

BvU said:
Hi,
Where on Earth does your first = in the attempt come from ? There is no mention of ##t## at all in your problem statement !?
Which one (what relationship) ? Says who ?
The whole statement is long so I just put the last version of it. It is given and equality that involves some things defined in the book so I just put the point where I got stuck. t is the time

Silviu said:
The whole statement is long so I just put the last version of it. It is given and equality that involves some things defined in the book so I just put the point where I got stuck. t is the time
Ok, but it would help if you were to make a three way distinction: the part of the question you are trying to solve, what you have already established from earlier parts, and your attempt at this part.
I assume that your two expressions for the accelerations fall into the middle section, but I cannot understand how they can be right. The resulting accelerations will be complex. Shouldn't they be real? If it is reasonable that they are complex you will nee to post much more of the given question.
Silviu said:
distance between them a
The distance between the coordinates you quote is 2a.

1. What is the origin in relation to rotating bodies?

The origin is a fixed point or center of rotation for a given body. It is the point around which the body rotates and all motion and dynamics are measured in relation to this point.

2. How is motion analyzed in rotating bodies around the origin?

Motion in rotating bodies around the origin is analyzed using principles of kinematics, which involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of the body at different points in time. This allows for the determination of the body's trajectory and the forces acting upon it.

3. What factors affect the dynamics of rotating bodies around the origin?

The dynamics of rotating bodies around the origin are affected by various factors such as the mass and shape of the body, the forces acting upon it (such as gravity, friction, and applied forces), and the speed and direction of rotation.

4. How does the motion of rotating bodies around the origin differ from linear motion?

Unlike linear motion, which involves movement in a straight line, rotating bodies around the origin move in a circular path. This means that the velocity and acceleration of the body are constantly changing, and must be analyzed using different equations and principles.

5. What are some real-world applications of analyzing motion and dynamics in rotating bodies around the origin?

The principles of analyzing motion and dynamics in rotating bodies around the origin have many real-world applications, such as in the design and operation of machines and vehicles that involve rotating parts (e.g. engines, turbines, propellers), as well as in the study of celestial bodies and planetary motion.