Rotating System in an Inelastic Collision

In summary, the system's angular speed must be less than the critical angular speed ωi in order for the string to break. The system's final speed after the inelastic collision is 50.3 1/s^2.
IWuvTeTwis

Homework Statement

Suppose that in the figure below, script i = 0.88 m, L = 2.2 m, M = 1.2 kg, and m = 0.6 kg. The string breaks when the system's angular speed approaches the critical angular speed ωi, at which time the tension in the string is 108 N. The masses then move radially outward until they undergo perfectly inelastic collisions with the ends of the cylinder. Assume that the inside walls of the cylinder are frictionless. (For clarification, M = 2 multiplied by m and the moment of inertia of the hollow cylinder is ML^2/10. Consider the sliding masses to be point masses.)

Find the critical speed that requires the string to break. Also find the final speed after the inelastic collision.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Angular Momentum: Linitial = Lfinal
L = I*omega

The Attempt at a Solution

Because of the law of conservation of momentum I realize that I can forge a relationship between the angular speed before and after the string breaks. Iinitial*omegainitial = Ifinal*omegafinal

However, what I am unsure of is what force causes the string to break. I don't think its the centripetal force since it pushes inwards. Can it be caused by some torque? I would be welcome any suggestions.

Attachments

• Rotating System.gif
    Rotating System.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 538
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're not understanding centripetal force. Centripetal force is the force that the string applies to keep the mass moving in a circle. In other words, it's the tension in the string. When the system is rotating too fast, the mass's centripetal acceleration becomes too high. The string tries to supply the necessary force to provide this acceleration, but it isn't strong enough, so it breaks.

Ok, I've tried using the equation F = 2*m*r*omega^2 where r = 1/2i. The 2 is there because there are two masses. However, I get an answer of 50.3 1/s^2 which doesn't seem to be right. Am I misapplying the centripetal force? Or is there another force I'm not accounting for?

1. What is a rotating system in an inelastic collision?

A rotating system in an inelastic collision occurs when two objects collide and stick together, causing them to rotate around a common axis. This type of collision is also known as a perfectly inelastic collision.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in a rotating system?

Angular momentum is conserved in a rotating system by the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

3. What is the difference between a rotating system and a non-rotating system in an inelastic collision?

In a rotating system, the objects stick together and rotate around a common axis, while in a non-rotating system, the objects may stick together but do not rotate around a common axis. Additionally, in a non-rotating system, some kinetic energy may be lost due to friction or other external forces, whereas in a rotating system, all kinetic energy is converted into rotational energy.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotation in an inelastic collision?

The moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, affects the rotation in an inelastic collision by determining how quickly the objects will rotate and the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. Objects with larger moments of inertia will rotate more slowly, while objects with smaller moments of inertia will rotate faster.

5. Can a rotating system in an inelastic collision be used to demonstrate conservation of energy?

Yes, a rotating system in an inelastic collision can be used to demonstrate conservation of energy. In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is converted into rotational energy, and the total energy of the system remains constant. This demonstrates the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.