How to Calculate Axle Diameter for Efficient Cement Lifting?

In summary, if the axle radius is 0.0255 meters and the linear acceleration of the buckets is 0.400 m/s^2, the angular acceleration of the axle must be 0.016 m/s^2.
cantgetno

Homework Statement

You are to design a rotating cylindrical axle to lift 800N buckets of cement from the ground to a rooftop 78.0m above the ground. The buckets will be attached to a hook on the free end of a cable that wraps around the rim of the axle; as the axle turns, the buckets will rise.

What should the diameter of the axle be in order to raise the buckets at a steady 2.00 cm cm/s when it is turning at 7.5rpm?

If instead the axle must give the buckets an upward acceleration of 0.400 m/s^2, what should the angular acceleration of the axle be?

Homework Equations

KE=0.5 I w^2
GPE = mgh or force x height
I=0.5 m r^2 (for a disc/cylinder)

The Attempt at a Solution

GPE=800x78=62400

Then i would have though KE=GPE but as there's no mass for the cylinder that can't be right

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about energy or moments of inertia, you won't need those for this problem.

Instead, how about the equation that relates radius, speed, and angular velocity?

For the steady speed question
1.What does 7.5 rpm translate to in revolutions per second?
2.For the rope to rise at 2cm per second, the 2cm traced out on the circumference of the axle must correspond to the answer of my first question. Now find the axle radius (and hence diameter) which will satisfy this.

For the acceleration question:
You keep the axle diameter you have just calculated then relate the linear acceleration of the bucket to the angular acceleration of the axle.

v=rw
0.02m/s=r x 0.785 rad/s
r = 0.0255 m
d=0.051 m
(correct)

a = v^2 / r = w^2 r

a = 0.016 m/s^2

but that's only that radial actually... is that what i want?

Last edited:
cantgetno said:
... but that's only that radial actually... is that what i want?

Nope. Try differentiating with respect to time:

v = rw

ummm

a=dw / dt ?

a(tan)=r (dw/dt) also
but how do i do dw/dt when i don't have an equation?

cantgetno said:
ummm

a=dw / dt ?
The left hand side is correct, but what happened to the "r" from the original equation?

a(tan)=r (dw/dt) also
This time you got the right hand side correct.

but how do i do dw/dt when i don't have an equation?
If you do the derivatives correctly, you'll have the equation. dw/dt will be the only unknown quantitiy.

ok using:
a(tan)=r (dw/dt)
0.4=0.255 (a)
a= 15.68 rad/s^2

Sorry i wasnt thinking properly

thanks lots

Looks good.

I didn't realize a(tan) meant tangential acceleration. I was trying to figure out how the tangent function got into this :blushing:

ha sorry ^^

thanks for the help

FAQ: How to Calculate Axle Diameter for Efficient Cement Lifting?

1. How does rotation affect the lifting of buckets?

Rotation can affect the lifting of buckets in a few ways. Firstly, the direction of rotation can determine the direction in which the bucket will move. Secondly, the speed of rotation can affect the speed at which the bucket is lifted. Finally, the angle of rotation can determine the height at which the bucket is lifted.

2. What is the relationship between torque and rotation when lifting buckets?

Torque is the measure of a force's ability to cause rotational motion. When lifting buckets, the amount of torque applied to the lifting mechanism will determine the amount of rotational force that is exerted on the bucket. This will ultimately affect the speed and height at which the bucket is lifted.

3. How does the weight of the bucket affect its rotation when lifting?

The weight of the bucket can affect its rotation when lifting in a few ways. Firstly, a heavier bucket will require more torque to be lifted at the same speed as a lighter bucket. Secondly, a heavier bucket may cause the lifting mechanism to exert more force, resulting in a faster rotation. Finally, the weight of the bucket can also affect the stability of the lifting mechanism and may require additional counterbalancing to prevent it from tipping.

4. What are some safety considerations when using rotation to lift buckets?

When using rotation to lift buckets, it is important to consider the weight of the bucket and ensure that the lifting mechanism is able to handle the load safely. It is also important to use proper lifting techniques and to have a clear understanding of the direction and speed of rotation to prevent accidents. Regular maintenance and inspection of the lifting mechanism is also crucial to ensure safe operation.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the efficiency of rotation when lifting buckets?

Yes, there are a few factors that can affect the efficiency of rotation when lifting buckets. These include the weight and shape of the bucket, the condition of the lifting mechanism, and the amount of torque and speed applied to the rotation. Additionally, environmental factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the efficiency of rotation.