Why Do Different Definitions of Rotation Matrices Exist in Mathematics?

In summary: There are some other conventions you could adopt, too, but this one is a common one.In summary, there are two versions of the rotation matrix commonly used in mathematics, one representing clockwise rotation and the other representing counterclockwise rotation. The choice of which one to use depends on whether you are rotating the coordinate system or a structure within a fixed coordinate system. It is important to carefully distinguish between the two and choose the appropriate transformation for each.
LagrangeEuler
Happy new year. Why everybody uses this definition of rotation matrix[tex]R(\theta) = \begin{bmatrix}
\cos\theta & -\sin\theta \\[0.3em]
\sin\theta & \cos\theta \\[0.3em]

\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
? This is clockwise rotation. And we always use counter clockwise in mathematics as a positive direction
[tex]R(\theta) = \begin{bmatrix}
\cos\theta & \sin\theta \\[0.3em]
-\sin\theta & \cos\theta \\[0.3em]
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure you are correct. Look at what is written here about rotations in 2D, in the section "In two dimensions". In the standard right-handed system, your first matrix represents counterclockwise rotations for positive ##\theta## and clockwise rotations for negative ##\theta##.

I think I am. Please look here

Aha, I think we are both right, but I was tacitly assuming you were talking about active transformations, while from the video it is apparent that you were in fact talking about passive transformations. See the discussion on the same wiki page under the section "Ambiguities".

Ok. So first variant

\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
is when I use rotation of vector in the system. And second is when I rotate system and vector stays fixed

\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Thanks!

Likes suremarc and S.G. Janssens
Yes. You need to carefully distinguish between the rotation of the coordinate system from one orientation to another, versus the rotation of a structure in a fixed coordinate system. You need to pick the appropriate transformation for each.

FactChecker said:
Yes. You need to carefully distinguish between the rotation of the coordinate system from one orientation to another, versus the rotation of a structure in a fixed coordinate system. You need to pick the appropriate transformation for each.

Rotating the object by an angle of [itex]\theta[/itex] is the same as rotating the coordinate system by [itex]-\theta[/itex] -- it's all relative. For all intents and purposes, you can just consider only rotating the object (and changing the angle to its negation where needed).

LagrangeEuler said:
Ok. So first variant

\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
is when I use rotation of vector in the system. And second is when I rotate system and vector stays fixed

\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Thanks!

The second version is basically the same as the first version except if your replace [itex]\theta[/itex] with [itex]-\theta[/itex] and use the fact that cosine is an even function whereas sine is an odd function.

Related to Why Do Different Definitions of Rotation Matrices Exist in Mathematics?

1. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent a rotation in three-dimensional space. It is a square matrix with special properties that allow it to rotate vectors around a specified axis.

2. How is a rotation matrix used in computer graphics?

Rotation matrices are essential in computer graphics for transforming and orienting objects in 3D space. They are used to rotate 3D models, cameras, and lighting in video games, animations, and virtual reality applications.

3. Can a rotation matrix be used to rotate objects in any direction?

Yes, a rotation matrix can be used to rotate objects in any direction in 3D space. The rotation is determined by the values in the matrix, which represent the rotation around each of the three axes (x, y, and z).

4. How do you create a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix can be created using a combination of trigonometric functions and basic linear algebra operations. The matrix elements can also be calculated using specialized formulas for specific rotation angles, such as 90 degrees or 45 degrees.

5. What are the properties of a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix has several important properties, including orthogonality (all columns and rows are perpendicular to each other), normalization (the length of each column and row is equal to 1), and preservation of vector length and angles (the length and angles of vectors are not changed by the rotation).