1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation matrix

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The rotation matrix below describes a beam element which is rotated around three axes x,y and z. Derive the rotation matrix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can see where the x-values (CXx CYx CZx) come from. They're just the projections of the rotated x-axes (the one with rotation alpha and beta). But I don't understand how the rest is derived can somebody help me?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Rotation about the x-axis through angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] is given by the matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & cos(\alpha) & -sin(\alpha) \\ 0 & sin(\alpha) & cos(\alpha)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Rotation about the y-axis through angle [itex]\beta[/itex] is given by the matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\beta) & 0 & -sin(\beta) \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ sin(\beta) & 0 & cos(\beta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Rotation about the z-axis through angle [itex]\gamma[/itex] is given by the matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} cos(\gamma) & -sin(\gamma) & 0 \\ sin(\gamma) & cos(\gamma) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The result of all those rotations is the product of those matrices. Be sure to multiply in the correct order.

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    I suspect that there's a minus sign somewhere wrongly placed in your matrices Halls, am I correct? I moved the minus sign in your second matrix to the lower sine but there's still something wrong for this is my result:

Code (Text):

[                        cos(a)cos(b),               -sin(b),                           cos(b)sin(a)                ]
    [ sin(a)sin(c) + cos(a)cos(c)sin(b)         cos(b)cos(c)         cos(c)*sin(a)sin(b) - cos(a)sin(c) ]
    [ cos(a)sin(b)sin(c) - cos(c)sin(a)        cos(b)*sin(c)     cos(a)cos(c) + sin(a)sin(b)sin(c)       ]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. Mar 30, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, all of the minus signs are correctly placed. I am, of course, assuming that a positive angle gives a rotation "counterclockwise" looking at the plane from "above"- from the positive axis of rotation.

6. Mar 30, 2012 #5
    But the wiki page shows a different position for the minus sign of your second matrix:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_matrix.

7. Mar 30, 2012 #6

D H

Insights Author

Staff: Mentor

Look at your diagram. Are all of those rotations positive by the right hand thumb rule? (Hint: The answer is no.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?