Rotation of a non pivot object

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rotation and translation in a falling uniform stick. The teacher explains that the axis of rotation is about the center of mass of the stick, which may seem arbitrary but is a consequence of Euler's rotation theorem. The student asks for additional references and explanations, and is directed to a course note on the topic. However, they still struggle to understand why the center of mass is chosen as the point of rotation.
VHAHAHA
my teacher told.me.that If a rotating uniform stick is falling, the axis of rotation is about the cm of the stick.
I don't understand why it is about the cm of the ball. I have searched on google and i found no answer.
Can anyone give me some reference so that I can read? Can anyone explain to me? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01sc-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-2010/rotation-and-translation/two-dimensional-rotation-and-translation-dynamics/MIT8_01SC_coursenotes27.pdf

i have read this note
but i still can't the answer
any tips?

You can describe the motion of a rigid body as a combination of translation of some point fixed with respect to the rigid body and rotation about that point. That point? It's completely arbitrary. It doesn't even have to be a point on the object. It's a consequence of Euler's rotation theorem.

So why choose the center of mass? That is the one point for which translational and rotational motion decouple from one another.

The concept of rotation can be a bit confusing, but let me try to explain it to you. When an object is rotating, it is moving around a fixed point called the axis of rotation. This axis can be anywhere within the object, depending on how it is rotating.

In the case of a non-pivoting object, such as a uniform stick, the axis of rotation is typically located at the center of mass (cm) of the object. This is because the center of mass is the point where all of the mass of the object is evenly distributed, and therefore it is the point where the object will rotate around.

Your teacher is correct in saying that if a rotating uniform stick is falling, the axis of rotation is about the cm of the stick. This is because as the stick falls, it is rotating around its center of mass, which is located at the cm of the stick.

As for references, you can look into the concept of rotational motion and the center of mass in any physics textbook or online resource. I would also recommend talking to your teacher for further clarification and examples. I hope this helps!

What is rotation of a non pivot object?

Rotation of a non pivot object is the movement of an object around an axis or center point without being physically attached to that point. This type of rotation is also known as free rotation.

What causes rotation of a non pivot object?

Rotation of a non pivot object is caused by an external force acting on the object, such as a torque or a push or pull. This force creates a rotational motion around an axis or center point.

What is the difference between rotation of a pivot object and a non pivot object?

The main difference between rotation of a pivot object and a non pivot object is the presence of a fixed point or axis. A pivot object rotates around a fixed point, while a non pivot object rotates around an axis without being physically attached to it.

What are some examples of non pivot objects that rotate?

Some examples of non pivot objects that rotate include a spinning top, a spinning wheel, a swinging pendulum, and a rolling ball. These objects all rotate around an axis or center point without being attached to it.

How do scientists study the rotation of non pivot objects?

Scientists study the rotation of non pivot objects by using principles of physics and mathematics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of angular momentum. They also use tools such as accelerometers and gyroscopes to measure and analyze the rotational motion of these objects.