Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of mass

1. Apr 17, 2007 #1
    Dear friends,
    I am new to this forum , and I've just joined. I would like to ask a specific query reg. the rotation of mass. I need to rotate a mass from its center axes.So i would like some of you to guide me , how to proceed in this matter.Rotation by a drive mechanism , so that the load may be rotated by 180 to 360 deg. Pl. help me out. Thanks is advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Charles.
    I'm afraid that you'll have to provide more information; your question is incomplete.
    First, are you asking how to determine the centre of mass, or advice on a mechanism to rotate it?

4. Apr 18, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If you're looking for a way to rotate something, you can consider using a stepper motor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

5. Apr 19, 2007 #4
    Thanks

Dear friends,

Thanks for your quick reply. In continuation with my query , I need to rotate a mass of nearly 10 tonne about its centre axis , and the component is a fabricated rectangular structure.Its got a bore and I'm planning to use the same , using a shaft and rotate it.

6. Apr 19, 2007 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Are we to assume that you have a way to get this on the shaft and that you just need a drive mechanism? You could do this with industrial strength belts and motors. What are the dimensions of this piece?

7. Apr 19, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

This is indeed on a considerably different scale than I was thinking of. Are you able to post a diagram?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?