Understanding a Rotation Problem: Mass, Length, and Acceleration Calculations

• Thread starter Silimay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
It should be l/2*(1-sin θ)*Mg. This will give you the correct expression for ω. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a long rod being supported by a horizontal axis and a thin vertical thread. The force exerted on the rod by the axis is found to be Mg/2, and for the time immediately after the thread breaks, the angular and translational acceleration of the rod are determined. The force exerted on the end of the rod by the axis is then calculated using the translational acceleration. The conversation also discusses the angular velocity of the rod as it swings down from the horizontal position, using conservation of energy to find the correct expression for ω.
Silimay
I have tried this problem, but there are parts of it I don't understand, and I'm not sure that I've done it all correctly.

A long, uniform rod of mass M and length l is supported at the left end by a horizontal axis into the page and perpendicular to the rod, as shown above. The right end is connected to the celing by a thin vertical thread so that the rod is horizontal. The moment of inertia of the rod about the axis at the end of the rod is M*l^2/3. Express the answers to all parts of this question in terms of M, l, and g.

Rod:

______________Rod_________________|
x---------------------------------------|

x = axis of rotation
Right side = thread
Thread is attached to wall (above and parallel to rod)

I don't know if you can understand the picture or not...hopefully you can.

a. Determine the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on the rod by the axis.

The force of gravity = Mg and acts upon the rod at its center of mass (correct me if I'm wrong). So should the force exerted on the rod by the axis by Mg/2?

The thread is then burned by a match. For the time immediately after the thread breaks, determine each of the following.

b. The angular acceleration α of the rod about the axis.

Torque = I*α = F x r
I = M*l^2/3
Torque = M*l^2/3*α = Mgl/2
α = 3Mgl/(2Ml^2) = 3/2(g/l)

c. The translational acceleration a of the rod about the axis.

a = αr = 3/2(g/l)*l = 3g/2

d. The force exerted on the end of the rod by the axis.

I had no clue how to do this one.

The rod rotates about the axis and swings down from the horizontal position.

e. Determine the angular velocity of the rod as a function of θ, the angle through which the rod has swung.

I used conservation of energy:
Initial potential energy (+ 0 K) = Final kinetic energy (+ 0 U)
l/2*(1-sin(θ))gM = 1/2(I)(ω)^2 = 1/6(M*l^2*ω^2)
That gives me:
ω = [(3(1-sin θ)g)/(l)]^(1/2)
Is that correct?

Any help is very much appreciated in advance! :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Silimay said:
Think of it as the force that is responsible for the centripetal acceleration.

The rest from a to c looks good to me (I haven't checked e) except maybe a sign in your torque.

Last edited:
Silimay said:
I have tried this problem, but there are parts of it I don't understand, and I'm not sure that I've done it all correctly.
Your solutions for a, b, and c are correct.

I had no clue how to do this one.
In part c you found the translational acceleration. Now figure out what force the axis must exert on the rod to produce that acceleration.
e. Determine the angular velocity of the rod as a function of θ, the angle through which the rod has swung.

I used conservation of energy:
Initial potential energy (+ 0 K) = Final kinetic energy (+ 0 U)
l/2*(1-sin(θ))gM = 1/2(I)(ω)^2 = 1/6(M*l^2*ω^2)
That gives me:
ω = [(3(1-sin θ)g)/(l)]^(1/2)
Is that correct?
No. The use of conservation of energy is correct, but you calculated the change in gravitational PE incorrectly.

1. How do you calculate the rotational mass of an object?

The rotational mass of an object can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. What is the relationship between rotational mass and linear mass?

Rotational mass is directly proportional to linear mass. This means that as the linear mass of an object increases, its rotational mass also increases.

3. How is rotational acceleration calculated?

Rotational acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net torque (force that causes rotational motion) by the moment of inertia (resistance of an object to rotational motion).

4. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia is I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation.

5. How does increasing the length of an object affect its rotational mass?

Increasing the length of an object will increase its rotational mass as it increases the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation, according to the formula for calculating rotational mass.