Rotational Dynamics of a Motor-Driven Drum System

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations and equations needed to determine the angular acceleration of a motor connected to a solid cylindrical drum with a massless rope attached to a weight. The conversation also covers the torque and power of the motor and the relationship between linear and angular speed/acceleration. The solution involves using equations for torque, force, and rotational work/power to find the necessary values.
Dan350

I think I on the rigth track, would you revise it please

1. A motor is connected to a solid cylindrical drum with a radius of 0.6m and a mass of 52kg. A massless rope is attached to the drum and tied at the other end to a 38kg weight so the rope will wind onto the drum as it turns. The weigth is rising with an acceleration of 1.5m^2. See Image below.

a) What is the angular acceleration of the drum?

b) At the moment that the drum is rotating at ω=3.5rad/s what is the rate at which the motor is doing work?

2. Homework Equations

T=rfsinθ
T=Iα
F=ma
I=1/2mr^2
)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

For part a:
F=ma
Fapp-mg=ma
Fapp=m(a+g)
So I got the force of the acting on the system to use it in my torque so
T=rfsin(90)
T=257.64N
then we get the intertia of the drum, so I=1/2(52kg)(.6m^2)= 9.36kgm^2

so we can apply it
T/I=α

∴ 257.64/9.36= 27.52rad/s^2

attempt at b

W=∫Tdθ from θi to θf

1/2Iωf^2-1/2Iωi^2

so plugin in values
1/2(9.36kgm^2)(3.5rad/s)^2
=57.33N

Am I correct? if not, would you tell me why and where am I wrong please.

Thank You
-Dan

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_32 Dec. 06 23.58.jpg
    ScreenHunter_32 Dec. 06 23.58.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
The rope is wound on the rim of the drum. The linear speed of the perimeter of the drum is the same as the speed of rise of the mass, as the string does not stretch. If the speeds are the same, so are the accelerations. And how are the linear speed/ acceleration related to angular speed/acceleration? So what is the angular acceleration of the drum?

You determined the force of tension as m(a+g) that is needed to accelerate the hanging mass upward. If the motor exerts the torque equal to m(a+g)R the system will not accelerate. Accelerating the whole system, you need extra torque from the motor. How much is the torque of the motor then?

Note that you have to determine the power of the motor (instead of force). How do you calculate rotational work/power?

ehild

Related to Rotational Dynamics of a Motor-Driven Drum System

What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation.

How is rotational inertia different from linear inertia?

Linear inertia refers to an object's resistance to changes in its linear motion, while rotational inertia refers to its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. They are both influenced by an object's mass, but rotational inertia takes into account the distribution of that mass around its axis of rotation.

What is the equation for calculating rotational inertia?

The equation for rotational inertia is I = mr^2, where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass.

What factors affect rotational inertia?

The two main factors that affect rotational inertia are the mass of the object and the distance of that mass from the axis of rotation. The further the mass is from the axis, the greater the rotational inertia will be.

How is rotational inertia used in real-world applications?

Rotational inertia is used in various real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and machines that need to rotate, understanding the stability of structures like bridges and towers, and even in sports like figure skating and gymnastics, where rotational movements are important.