Rotational Edge Drop: Angular Velocity & Translation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a box with specific dimensions and mass being placed on a block and being raised and dropped on different edges. The question is whether the box will continue to rotate and fall on its side. The person has been able to find the angular velocity but is having trouble translating it when the box switches edges.
toddar
So here is the problem I have. There is a box that is 27.5" tall and 41" tall with a mass of 480lbs. One edge is put on a 3.5" tall block while the other is raised 12" and dropped. The question is to see if the block will continue to rotate and fall on it's side. I have been able to find the angular velocity but am unable to translate that portion of it when it switches edges it is rotating about.

Engineering news on Phys.org
toddar said:
So here is the problem I have. There is a box that is 27.5" tall and 41" tall with a mass of 480lbs. One edge is put on a 3.5" tall block while the other is raised 12" and dropped. The question is to see if the block will continue to rotate and fall on it's side. I have been able to find the angular velocity but am unable to translate that portion of it when it switches edges it is rotating about.

Welcome to the PF.

Where's the egg?

1. What is rotational edge drop?

Rotational edge drop is the phenomenon that occurs when an object is rotated around an axis and experiences a decrease in its height at the edges.

2. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis, measured in radians per second.

3. How does rotational edge drop affect an object's angular velocity?

Rotational edge drop decreases an object's angular velocity due to the decrease in its height, resulting in a decrease in its rotational inertia.

4. Can rotational edge drop occur in translation?

No, rotational edge drop only occurs when an object is rotated around an axis. In translation, an object's height remains constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational edge drop?

Examples of rotational edge drop can be seen in spinning tops, frisbees, and figure skating spins. It also plays a role in the stability of objects such as bicycles and gyroscope toys.