Solving Rotational Energy Problem | 1.6m Stick, .4-.070kg/m^2

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with determining the rotational kinetic energy of a thin stick with varying mass density. The stick is rotating about one end with a period of 1.1s. The conversation explores two different methods for determining the inertia of the stick, one using an integral with respect to volume and the other using an integral with respect to distance. Ultimately, the correct result is found to be (1/3)MR^2.
Jack86
I am having problems with a rotational energy problem.

It reads...
a think stick of length 1.6m is dense at one edn than at teh other: it's mass desity is p=.4kg/m-.070kg/m^2x, where x is the distance from the heavier end of teh stick. The stick rotates about an axis perpindicular to the heavier end with a period of 1.1s. Determine teh Rotational kinetic energy of teh stick.

I used K=1/2Iw^2. I found w by using the period. However, when I try to use the integral I=(integral)pR^2 dV, I cannot find R becuase it is not stated. How do I find R or is there another way around the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
R is the length of the stick.

And your integral is wrong. It should be I=(integral)pr² dr, not I=(integral)pR^2 dV,

Last edited:
I disagree: it should be dV (I can't think why it shouldn't, enlighten me :smile:).

(The distance from the rotational axis) R2 = x2 + y2. As the stick's thin: y,z [itex]\to[/itex] 0.

Last edited:
R is the radius of the stick, I am sure of this. And the integral has to be with respect to volume, it's a 3d object

Päällikkö said:
I disagree: it should be dV (I can't think why it shouldn't, enlighten me :smile:).

(The distance from the rotational axis) R2 = x2 + y2. As the stick's thin: y,z [itex]\to[/itex] 0.

We have a stick rotating about one end. A small element δm at a distance r giving a small inertia δI = r²δm. Puting δm = ρ*δr and substituting gave me my final result. Hmm, how is it derived with dV, I'm not familiar with that ?

Attachments

• Päällikkö.jpg
    Päällikkö.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Fermat said:
δm = ρ*δr
I feel this should be:
δm = ρ*δV

Then again as the stick's thin, δm = ρ*δV basically reduces to δm = y*z*ρ*δr, where y and z are the thicknesses into different directions (I don't think you can jus cancel them out).

The attachement will take a while before it is approved (thus I cannot view it), maybe host the file on http://www.imageshack.us" ? (EDIT: You already did :smile:)

If you use your method to derive the I for a uniform thin rod, you will come up with (1/3)ρR3, which is wrong. Either of the methods I've mentioned should give the correct (1/3)MR2

EDIT: Lots and lots of edits :smile:, small typos of all kinds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel this should be:
δm = ρ*δV

ρ is the linear density, in kg/m

The integral is still from 0 to 1.6 though right?

Yeah, I think we would both agree on that :smile:

1. What is rotational energy and how is it calculated?

Rotational energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation) by the square of its angular velocity.

2. How do you solve rotational energy problems?

To solve a rotational energy problem, you need to know the moment of inertia and the angular velocity of the object in question. Then, use the formula E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. Plug in the values and solve for E.

3. What is the significance of the given values in the problem (1.6m stick, .4-.070kg/m^2)?

The given values represent the physical properties of the object in question, specifically its length and moment of inertia per unit mass. These values are necessary in order to calculate the rotational energy of the object.

4. How does the length of the stick affect its rotational energy?

In general, the longer the stick, the higher its moment of inertia and therefore, the higher its rotational energy. This is because a longer stick has more mass distributed farther from its axis of rotation, making it more difficult to rotate.

5. Can you use the same formula to calculate the rotational energy of any object?

Yes, the formula E = 1/2 * I * ω^2 can be used to calculate the rotational energy of any object, as long as you know its moment of inertia and angular velocity. However, the moment of inertia may vary depending on the shape and mass distribution of the object.