Rotational inertia and torque of a frisbee

In summary, a student has a 103 g Frisbee which is 16 cm in diameter and has half its mass spread uniformly in a disk and the other half concentrated in the rim. With a quarter-turn flick of the wrist, the student sets the Frisbee rotating at 730 rpm. The rotational inertia of the Frisbee is 4.9x10^-4 kg*m² and the magnitude of the torque, assumed constant, is 0.145 kg*m²*r/s², which can be converted to SI units of N*m by converting the revolutions (r) to radians.
4t0mic

Homework Statement

A 103 g Frisbee is 16 cm in diameter and has about half its mass spread uniformly in a disk and the other half concentrated in the rim. With a quarter-turn flick of the wrist, a student sets the Frisbee rotating at 730 rpm.

a) What is the rotational inertia of the Frisbee?

b) What is the magnitude of the torque, assumed constant, that the student applies?

Homework Equations

[tex]I = \frac{1}{2}MR^{2}[/tex]
[tex]I = MR^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\tau = I\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved for the rotational inertia from the combination of [tex]I =\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}[/tex] and [tex]I = MR^{2}[/tex]. But I can't seem to get how to get the torque from [tex]\tau= I\alpha[/tex]. I know what I (rotational inertia) but I don't know how to get [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Help me figure it out! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

4t0mic said:
With a quarter-turn flick of the wrist, a student sets the Frisbee rotating at 730 rpm.

… but I don't know how to get [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Help me figure it out! Thanks.

Hi 4t0mic! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and an omega: ω :wink:)

You know that after a quarter revolution, ω = 730 rpm …

so you have a "distance" and an initial and final "speed" …

so use one of the usual constant acceleration equations :wink:

Hello Tiny Tim.

Oh, I see. So with the constant acceleration equation:
ωf² = ωi² + 2αθ
I get:
α = ωf² - ωi² / 2θ
Giving me:
τ = Iα
τ = I (ωf² - ωi² / 2θ)

Given I = 4.9x10^-4 kg*m² (my answer from part A) and
730 rpm*(1m/60s)=12.1667rps

τ = (4.9x10^-4 kg*m²)([12.1667rps]² - 0 / 2*0.25 rev) = 0.145 kg*m²*r/s²

How do I convert kg*m²*r/s to the SI units for torque, which is N*m? I know N is kg*m/s²... overall I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Or maybe the question is... how to convert revolutions (r) into SI units?

Hello 4t0mic! :smile:
4t0mic said:
How do I convert kg*m²*r/s to the SI units for torque, which is N*m? I know N is kg*m/s²... overall I'm stuck.
4t0mic said:
Or maybe the question is... how to convert revolutions (r) into SI units?

Exactly! :approve:

The great thing about SI units is that if all your inputs are in them, then your result is also …

you don't need to both about what a Newton is (if you break it down) … any force in SI units will be in Newtons automatically!

So, as you say, the only question is... how to convert revolutions (r) into SI units …

well, a revolution is just a dimensionless number, so convert it to radians and you're on a home run :smile:

What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass of the object.

How does rotational inertia affect the flight of a frisbee?

Rotational inertia plays a crucial role in the flight of a frisbee. The frisbee's rotational inertia determines how much it will resist changes in its rotational motion, allowing it to maintain its spin and stability in the air.

What factors affect the rotational inertia of a frisbee?

The rotational inertia of a frisbee is affected by its mass, distribution of mass, and the shape of the frisbee. A frisbee with a larger mass or more spread out mass will have a higher rotational inertia, making it more stable in flight.

What is torque and how does it impact a frisbee's flight?

Torque is the measure of a force's ability to cause rotational motion. When a force is applied to a frisbee, it creates torque, which can change the frisbee's rotational motion and affect its flight path.

How can we calculate the torque of a frisbee?

The torque of a frisbee can be calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance.