How Do You Calculate Tension in a Hanging Cylinder with Rotational Kinematics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the tension in two cords wrapped around a hollow cylinder that is released horizontally from a vertical position. The weight and moment of inertia of the cylinder are taken into account, and the purpose of seeking help from a solved problem is explained.
greenskyy

Homework Statement

A hollow cylinder of length L and radius R has a weight W. Two cords are wrapped in the same direction around the cylinder, one near each end. The cords are fixed to the ceiling. The cylinder is held horizontally with the cords vertical. The cylinder is then released. Find the tension, T, in each of the cords.
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys211/oldexams/exam3/sp07/fig21.gif

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau=rFsin\theta[/tex]

[tex]\alpha=\frac{\tau_{net}}{I}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the picture from the side, with the tension T pointing up on the side of the cylinder, and the weight W pointed down from the center of the cylinder. Using the parallel axis theorem, the moment of inertia would be MR^2 + Md^2 (with R = d) = 2MR^2 . I'm assuming weight W is in Newtons, which means this needs to be rewritten as 2(W/g)R^2 to get it into known variables.

I'm trying to solve it like any other rolling / rotational motion problem, but am getting confused. If the axis of rotation is at the end of the cylinder where the ropes are, they should be causing no torque at all on the cylinder, since the distance from the axis of rotation would be zero. Starting with a confusion like this, I don't know where to go. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What force, other than the rope tension, acts on the cylinder?

Redbelly98 said:
What force, other than the rope tension, acts on the cylinder?

The force of gravity. I already took this into account with W being pointed down from the center of the circle.

Okay, good. That will cause a torque about the pivot axis you have chosen, where the ropes meet the cylinder.

see page 152 of this link that has solved physics problems

[link deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the purpose of doing a homework question if the OP just copies from an answer sheet?

The moment of inertia about the axis (center in this case) is just MR^2, you don't need to use the parallel axis theorem.
And torque is zero if the force goes through the axis of rotation. The Tensions are on the side (tangent) of the cylinder, not center.

You can choose any axis to solve the problem. If you choose the axis where the strings contact the cylinder, the parallel axis theorem is needed to find the M.O.I. about that axis. As ahmadmz says, the P.A.T. is not need if one chooses the center cylinder axis.

Either axis will have a torque about it, and if you use the correct M.O.I. for that axis, you will get the same final solution.

Answer to "Why get help from a solved problem"

For the same reason your teacher does similar problems dummy...when you see how a similar problem is solved and learn the logic, you can then apply that to your problem. I apologize the link did not copy properly, for you could see the solved problem was not an exact match, it instead had masses attached. However, the solved problem involved the same tension logic. Sometimes, a little help goes a long way.

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension in a Hanging Cylinder with Rotational Kinematics?

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning around an axis. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of these objects as they rotate.

2. What are the basic quantities used in rotational kinematics?

The basic quantities used in rotational kinematics are angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration. These quantities are measured in radians, radians per second, and radians per second squared, respectively.

3. How is rotational kinematics different from linear kinematics?

Rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects that are rotating, while linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Rotational kinematics also uses different quantities and equations than linear kinematics.

4. What is the relationship between angular and linear kinematics?

Angular and linear kinematics are related through the concept of rotational motion. Linear motion can be converted to rotational motion and vice versa through the use of equations such as v = rω and a = rα, where v and a are linear velocity and acceleration, r is the radius of rotation, and ω and α are angular velocity and acceleration.

5. How is rotational kinematics applied in real life?

Rotational kinematics is applied in various fields such as engineering, robotics, and sports. It is used to design and analyze machines, understand the movement of objects in space, and improve athletic performance. Examples include the design of gears in a car's transmission, the motion of a spinning top, and the physics behind a baseball pitch.