How Is Rotational Kinetic Energy Calculated for a Cylinder Rolling Down a Ramp?

In summary, to find the rotational kinetic energy of the cylinder, you will need to use the formula KE=1/2 Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. To find the moment of inertia for a cylinder, use the formula I=1/2 mr^2. Plug in the given values and solve for ω, then plug that into the formula for KE to find the answer.
map7s
A 2.4 kg cylinder (radius = 0.09 m, length = 0.50 m) is released from rest at the top of a ramp and allowed to roll without slipping. The ramp is 0.74 m high and 5.0 m long. What is its rotational kinetic energy?

I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track...

I=2/5 mr^2
KE=1/2 mv^2 + 1/5 mv^2

Using conservation of energy: mgh=1/2 mv^2 + 1/5 mv^2 and then solve for v and plug into equation for KE.

Does this sound like I'm doing this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
map7s said:
I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track...

I=2/5 mr^2
KE=1/2 mv^2 + 1/5 mv^2
You are on the right track, but you are using the wrong formula for rotational inertia. (2/5 mr^2 is for a rolling ball, not a cylinder.)

Yes, your approach is correct. To find the rotational kinetic energy, you need to use the formula KE = 1/2 Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia (in this case, 2/5 mr^2 for a solid cylinder) and ω is the angular velocity. You can find the angular velocity by using the conservation of energy equation, as you mentioned. Once you have the angular velocity, you can plug it into the rotational kinetic energy formula to get the final answer. Keep up the good work!

What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is dependent on the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

Rotational kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

What is the difference between translational and rotational kinetic energy?

Translational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its linear motion, while rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. They are both forms of kinetic energy and can be converted into one another.

How does rotational kinetic energy affect an object's motion?

Rotational kinetic energy plays a crucial role in an object's rotational motion. The higher the rotational kinetic energy, the faster the object will rotate and the harder it will be to change its rotational motion.

What are some real-life examples of rotational kinetic energy?

Some examples of rotational kinetic energy include spinning tops, wheels of a car, and the Earth's rotation. It is also essential in sports such as figure skating, gymnastics, and gymnastics, where rotational motion is involved.