Calculate Rotational Torque: 8700 kgm2 @ 18 RPMs

In summary, the flywheel has a MOI of 8700 kgm2 and is rotating at 18 RPMs. The angular velocity is 1.83 rad/sec. The torque that the flywheel creates at the axle is 15979.6 Nm.
But it's still a state secret where the original Energy is coming from. As far as I'm concerned, the whole enterprise is suspect until that is known. Why should PF have any part of it? A machine that drives itself is just not in PF's terms, is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pinon1977 said:
What's wrong with this calculation:
8700kgm2 * (18 RPMS/9.8) OR
8700kgm2 * 1.8 rad/sec = 15660Nm

You are multiplying MOI * Angular Velocity. That gives you the angular momentum not the torque.

Pinon1977 said:
gravity was probably never perceived as a source for creating power. It's always been the enemy
What sort of a statement is that? How can gravity be an "enemy"? In any case. gravity is not the "source" of hydro power. The SUN is the source of the power because it causes evaporation which gives us rain etc. etc.. A long case clock 'uses' gravity as the weights fall but the guy who wound it up was the source of the energy.

Pinon1977 said:
14 watts? Really? Common sense would tell you that a flywheel with a MOI of 8700 kgm2 spinning at 18 rpms is going to produce more than 14 watts of power. Right?

Wrong. Flywheels spinning at a constant rpm do not produce any power. Zero. None.

Perhaps you misunderstand what I calculated...

I calculated the torque required to accelerate your flywheel from rest to 18rpm in 3 seconds. That only takes a constant 290Nm. So all I can say is that your prime mover is capable of delivering at least that much torque.

If you say your prime mover is capable of generating more torque then that's fine but you will have to measure it. It cannot be calculated from the MOI and rpm alone.

Pinon1977 said:
I used a 4000 ftlbs prony brake last week and it maxed it out in less than 2 rotations. So the torque is at least 4000 ft lbs at 18rpms.

All that shows is that the torque is at least 4000 ft lbs for 2 revolutions (about 6 seconds).

Leave it connected for 10 mins and measure the rpm after that time.

Pinon1977 said:
14 watts? Really? Common sense would tell you that a flywheel with a MOI of 8700 kgm2 spinning at 18 rpms is going to produce more than 14 watts of power. Right? I can generate 100 watts of power with my bicycle generator.
Yes, because you operate a generator in this example. It's not the wheel that produces the energy.
CWatters said:
Wrong. Flywheels spinning at a constant rpm do not produce any power. Zero. None.

PMM are not possible, regardless how well hidden the mechanism or yield is. We do not discuss magical tricks on PF. The question has been answered in many ways. All use fundamental physics.

Thread closed.

Last edited:
Likes Nidum