Rotations in Quantum Mechanics Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem about rotations preserving length in Quantum Mechanics. The question asks to show that a geometrical transformation R is an isometry if and only if R Tη R = η. Different approaches are suggested, including using the condition that the length of {x'}^i = {R^i}_j x^j must be equal to the length of x^i. Another approach is attempted, but it requires careful consideration of indices and knowledge of the inverse of the matrix R.
AdamBourke

Homework Statement

This is more maths than QM I think, but it's at the beginning of my Quantum Questions. Basically, it's about rotations preserving length:

xi is the ith component of a vector, and the length of a vector is determined by the metric ηij according to the equation:

l2 = ηij xixj

where Einstein Summation Convention is used

The action of a geometrical transformation R acting on the vectors can be written:

x' i = R ij x j

Show that R is an isometry (i.e distances are preserved by rotations) if and only if:

R Tη R = η​

Homework Equations

None, other than the ones in the question. Unless I'm wrong, which would explain why I can't do the question...

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm not entirely sure where to begin.

I started with the condition:

l2 = ηij xixj = (R Tηij R) R ia x aR jb x b

But then I wasn't really sure a) if the ηij should be encased by the Rs, and b) what do do after that. I tried to write (R Tηij R) as RpiηpqRjq, but that gives an awful lot of Rs and indices which I just can't see how to get rid of:

ηij xixj = RpiηpqRjq R ia x aR jb x b

Am I looking at this completely wrong, or just not seeing something simple? It's an assignment, so I don't want the answer, but I need some help I think.

Thanks,
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
If distances are preserved, then the length of [tex]{x'}^i = {R^i}_j x^j[/tex] must be equal to the length of [tex]x^i[/tex]. So it must be that

[tex] \eta_{ij}{x'}^i{x'}^j = \eta_{ij}x^i x^j.[/tex]

You therefore want to determine the condition on [tex]{R^i}_j[/tex] so that this is true.

The approach you took would have worked too, but you would have had to be much more careful about all of the indices in the expression, as well as knowing a property of the inverse of the matrix [tex]R[/tex].

1. What are rotations in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, rotations refer to the transformation of a quantum state under a rotation operation. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles in three-dimensional space.

2. Why are rotations important in quantum mechanics?

Rotations are important in quantum mechanics because they are a fundamental aspect of the theory and are used to describe the properties and behavior of particles. They are also necessary for understanding the symmetries of quantum systems.

3. How are rotations represented in quantum mechanics?

Rotations in quantum mechanics are represented by mathematical operators known as rotation operators. These operators act on quantum states and transform them according to the properties of the rotation, such as the angle and axis of rotation.

4. What is the role of rotations in the quantum mechanical description of spin?

In quantum mechanics, spin is a fundamental property of particles that can take on discrete values. Rotations play a crucial role in the description of spin, as they are used to transform spin states and determine the relationship between different spin states.

5. How do rotations affect the quantum mechanical behavior of particles?

Rotations can have a significant impact on the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. They can change the orientation of a particle's spin, alter the probabilities of measurement outcomes, and reveal symmetries in the system. In certain cases, rotations can also lead to the entanglement of quantum states.