Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Route in becoming a charted engineer

  1. Jan 14, 2007 #1
    so, IR is the tittle for engineers right?
    neway, can someone be of a assistance in explaining on the route from being an undergraduate till getting to the tittle?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    I dunno what country you are in. This comment is based on experience in the UK.

    When you graduate, get a job with an engineering company that understands the value of the chartered engineer qualifications. They should be able to provide a mentor and make sure you get the right type of work experience and keep the right sort of evidence of what you have done, as part of your professional development within the company. Ideally this will be linked in to the company's performance appraisal and internal promotion process.

    AFAIK you don't need to do anything "special" at the undergraduate stage - except for getting a degree, of course!

    see http://www.engc.org.uk/registration/ [Broken] for a general guide.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  4. Jan 14, 2007 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Since you are refering to being "chartered" you're not in the US, are you?
  5. Jan 14, 2007 #4
    oh, my country?

    oh..erm..im from malaysia.
    ok, honestly, i dunnu why i wrote charted. what i mean is..how do one get the title ir? sorry for not informing. there's not much forums discussing on engineering. just having lack of info on engineering profession. hope of assistance..

    complete blur..:confused:
  6. Jan 14, 2007 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    OK. What does "IR" stand for? I am assuming it is some kind of licensure.
  7. Jan 15, 2007 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    I assumed it was this - Dutch/German thing, and the historically the Dutch had strong links to Indonesia. From my experience working with European engineers the usage of it is similar to the UK C.Eng that I was talking about. The Germans like to use their formal titles (e.g. "Herr Dr. Ingr. Garvin", not "Fred").

  8. Jan 15, 2007 #7


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    In Europe, the professional designation equivalent to the British "CEng" (Chartered engineer) is "Eur Ing" (European engineer). The "Ir" prefix is merely to denote an engineering degree, and not a professional qualification (such as being Chartered, Incorporated, or whatever the special word is for "Eur Ing").

    The many possible routes to Chartered status in the UK is clearly outlined on the Engineering Council website (www.engc.org.uk)[/URL]. I have no idea what the Malaysian equivalent is, or even if you'll be able to get the title without an accredited degree and suitable experience thereafter.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Route in becoming a charted engineer
  1. Becoming an Engineer (Replies: 0)

  2. Steel strength chart? (Replies: 3)