RThe canonical representation phi (measure theory) (Royden)

Borel sets are named after Émile Borel.In summary, the "canonical representation phi" (measure theory) (Royden) refers to a function ρ that is defined as a linear combination of measurable sets Ei, with coefficients ai. The canonical representation is characterized by the fact that the sets Ai and coefficients ai are disjoint and distinct, respectively. A Borel set is any set in the smallest σ-algebra which contains all of the open sets in a topological space. It can be formed through the operations of countable union, countable intersection, and relative complement.
Jamin2112
RThe "canonical representation phi" (measure theory) (Royden)

Homework Statement

I need some help understanding the canonical representation of phi as described on p. 77 of Rodyen's 3rd edition. I've transcribed it below for those of you who don't own the book.

Homework Equations

The dunction χE defined by

χE(x) = 1 if x ε E; 0 if x [STRIKE]ε[/STRIKE] E

is called the characteristic function of E. A linear combination

ρ(x) = ƩaiχEi(x)

is called a simple function if the sets Ei are measurable. This representation for ρ is not unique. However, we note that a function ρ is simply if and only if it is measurable and assume only a finite number of values. If ρ is a simple function and {a1, ..., an} the set of nonzero values of ρ, then

ρ = ƩaiχAi(x),

where Ai = {x: ρ(x) = ai}. This representation for ρ is called the canonical representation, and it is characterized by the fact that the Ai are disjoint and the ai distinct and nonzero.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I understand the ρ(x): there are coefficients ai corresponding to each of the measurable sets Ei, and for a given x the function ρ(x) simply sums up the ai corresponding to the sets containing x. However, the definition of ρ, the "canonical representation," is eluding me.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jamin2112! :smile:
Jamin2112 said:
… However, we note that a function ρ is simply if and only if it is measurable and assume only a finite number of values. If ρ is a simple function and {a1, ..., an} the set of nonzero values of ρ, then

ρ = ƩaiχAi(x),

where Ai = {x: ρ(x) = ai}. This representation for ρ is called the canonical representation, and it is characterized by the fact that the Ai are disjoint and the ai distinct and nonzero.

So I understand the ρ(x): there are coefficients ai corresponding to each of the measurable sets Ei, and for a given x the function ρ(x) simply sums up the ai corresponding to the sets containing x. However, the definition of ρ, the "canonical representation," is eluding me.

essentially, ρ is a step function with n steps

the canonical representation is the obvious one which divides ρ into single-step functions, each with steps of different heights :wink:

Take a simple example. Let ##E_1=[0,2),\ E_2=(1,3]##. Let ##\rho = 2X_{E_1} + 3X_{E_2}##. Draw a careful graph of that. You will see it takes on 3 different values, on the intervals ##[0,1],\ (1,2),\ [2,3]##. The canonical representation uses these three disjoint sets, each on which the function is a different constant.

Thanks, guys! That clarifies it.

Now could you explain to me what a Borel set is? My book doesn't say what a Borel set is ... it only gives a definition of the a collection of Borel sets:

"The collection β of Borel sets is the smallest σ-algebra which contains all of the open sets."

(Okay ... But what is a Borel set itself?)

Jamin2112 said:
... But what is a Borel set itself?)

It's any set in "the smallest σ-algebra which contains all of the open sets" :wink:

in other words, it's as defined at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borel_set
In mathematics, a Borel set is any set in a topological space that can be formed from open sets (or, equivalently, from closed sets) through the operations of countable union, countable intersection, and relative complement.​

1. What is the canonical representation phi in measure theory?

The canonical representation phi in measure theory is a way to represent a measurable space as a product of smaller measurable spaces. It is a key concept in measure theory and is often used in probability theory to simplify the calculation of probabilities.

2. How is the canonical representation phi calculated?

The canonical representation phi is calculated using the product measure, which is a way to construct a measure on a product space from measures on the individual spaces. The product measure is defined as the minimum measure that satisfies certain conditions, such as being countably additive.

3. What are the benefits of using the canonical representation phi?

The canonical representation phi allows for simpler calculations and proofs in measure theory. It also allows for a better understanding of the structure of a measurable space and can lead to insights about the properties of the measures on the individual spaces.

4. How is the canonical representation phi related to sigma-algebras?

The canonical representation phi is closely related to sigma-algebras, as it is used to construct a product sigma-algebra on the product space. This product sigma-algebra is the smallest sigma-algebra that contains all the sets from the individual sigma-algebras of the spaces in the product.

5. In what other fields is the canonical representation phi used?

The canonical representation phi is primarily used in measure theory and probability theory. However, it also has applications in other fields such as functional analysis, where it is used to define measures on product spaces of topological spaces.