Rutherford's 1911 Experiment: Electric Field & Deflection Formula

In summary, Rutherford found that the electric field inside an atom is proportional to the charge on the nucleus. He also found that the deflection of an electrified particle due to this field is given by theta.
D.Hilbert
Hi,

My question is about the famous paper by E. Rutherford on the scattering of alpha particles (1911). The paper is easy to find on internet. Rutherford gives the formula for the electric field inside an atom, at a distance r from the nucleus (here reduced to a point):

X = N e (1/r^2 - r/R^3)

Here N e in the electric charge in the nucleus and R is the radius of the atom. After he says

It is not difficult to show that the deflection (supposed small) of an electrified particle due to this field is given by

theta = b/p (1 - p^2/R^2)^(3/2)

where p is the perpendicular from the center on the path.

I can obtain X but I don't see where the formula for theta comes from.

Any suggestion?

Thanks DH

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were old Ernest, I would integrate the vertical component of the force over the section of the trajectory through the nucleus. If theta is small enough, pretending it is straight may be OK, and it's easier.

Hi,
Thanks for the answer.
Let the trajectory of the alpha particle be on the x-axis.

Are you suggesting to calculate

\int_{t1}^{t2} Fy dt

where Fy is the y-coordinate of the force?

DH

I found Rutherford-1911 where your formulas feature. There also is an explanation of what b stands for, which you would have included in your problem statement if you would have used the template. Please use it from now on. PF has a simple rule: no template, no assistance. It would have saved me some time that I could have used for others. Now I have to do some errands, so I am short on time.

But yes, (read: atom in my post, the nucleus is considered pointlike, somewhat incongruent in this context: it still had to be discovered. Better to speak of the center of the atom, but never mind). t1 and t2 can be related to R and p and the speed of the ##\alpha##. So you change from dt to dx. Some ##\beta## comes in with ## \sin\beta = {x\over R}##; perhaps you go from dx to d##\beta##. All constants go into b and there you are!

Last edited:

Hello DH,

Thank you for your question about Rutherford's 1911 experiment. Rutherford's experiment was a groundbreaking discovery in the field of atomic physics and has been studied extensively since its publication.

To understand where the formula for theta comes from, it is important to first understand the experiment itself. Rutherford's experiment involved firing alpha particles (positively charged particles) at a thin sheet of gold foil. The expected result was that the alpha particles would pass straight through the foil with little to no deflection, as the prevailing theory at the time suggested that the atom was a uniform, positively charged sphere.

However, Rutherford observed that some of the alpha particles were deflected at large angles, and a few even bounced back in the direction they came from. This led him to conclude that the atom must have a dense, positively charged nucleus at its center, with most of the atom being empty space.

To explain this observation, Rutherford developed a formula for the electric field inside an atom, which you mentioned in your question. This formula takes into account the electric charge of the nucleus and the radius of the atom. However, this formula does not fully explain the deflection of the alpha particles.

To understand the formula for theta, we must consider the motion of the alpha particles as they approach the nucleus. The perpendicular distance from the center of the atom (where the nucleus is located) to the path of the alpha particle is given by p. As the alpha particle approaches the nucleus, it experiences a force due to the electric field of the nucleus. This force causes the alpha particle to deviate from its original path and be deflected.

Using principles of classical mechanics and the formula for the electric field, Rutherford was able to derive the formula for theta, which describes the deflection of the alpha particle as a function of its initial momentum and the distance p from the center of the atom.

I hope this explanation helps you understand where the formula for theta comes from. Rutherford's experiment and subsequent discoveries revolutionized our understanding of the atom and paved the way for further advancements in atomic physics.

Best,

1. What was Rutherford's 1911 experiment?

Rutherford's 1911 experiment was a landmark experiment conducted by physicist Ernest Rutherford to investigate the nature of the atom. It involved firing alpha particles at a thin sheet of gold foil and observing their deflection patterns, which led to the discovery of the atomic nucleus.

2. How did Rutherford's experiment contribute to our understanding of the atom?

Rutherford's experiment led to the discovery of the atomic nucleus, which was a major breakthrough in our understanding of the atom. It showed that atoms have a small, dense, positively charged nucleus at their center, and that most of the atom is made up of empty space. This was a significant departure from the previously accepted model of the atom, which proposed that the positive charge was evenly distributed throughout the atom.

3. What is the significance of the electric field in Rutherford's experiment?

The electric field in Rutherford's experiment was produced by a high-voltage source and was used to accelerate the alpha particles towards the gold foil. The deflection of the alpha particles by the electric field allowed Rutherford to determine the properties of the atomic nucleus, such as its size and charge, and to support his theory of the nuclear model of the atom.

4. What is the deflection formula used in Rutherford's experiment?

The deflection formula used in Rutherford's experiment is known as the Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This formula was used to calculate the expected deflection of the alpha particles after passing through the gold foil.

5. How has Rutherford's experiment influenced modern atomic theory?

Rutherford's experiment has had a significant impact on modern atomic theory by providing evidence for the existence of the atomic nucleus and disproving the previously accepted model of the atom. It also paved the way for further studies on the structure of the atom, leading to the development of more advanced models such as the Bohr model and the modern quantum mechanical model.