Safe Work Load of a T Beam

In summary, the individual is seeking to determine the safe work load capacity of a trestle in their workshop. They are unsure of the type of support the trestle has and are looking for assistance with the calculations, including finding the section modulus, allowable stress, and moment. They also mention cleats along the length of the trestle. It is recommended that they speak with a professional engineer and obtain approval from their local Building Department and insurance company before making any changes or applying new loads to the structure.
Volantis92
Hi Guys,

I want to determine the safe work load (SWL) capacity of a trestle in my workshop. It is a T Beam with width (W), height (h), thickness (t) and length (L). It is welded each end to two legs - what kind of support would this be considered as? Fixed or pin?

Can someone walk me through the calculations to find the SWL that it can endure.

I remember doing something similar in my structural analysis class but cannot find my notes, I believe i have to find the section modulas of the T beam, find allowable stress and find moment? I do not remember exactly the formulas.

There are also cleats 1/4 intervals along length (L), do I consider this in my calcs?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Volantis92 said:
Hi Guys,

I want to determine the safe work load (SWL) capacity of a trestle in my workshop. It is a T Beam with width (W), height (h), thickness (t) and length (L). It is welded each end to two legs - what kind of support would this be considered as? Fixed or pin?

Can someone walk me through the calculations to find the SWL that it can endure.

I remember doing something similar in my structural analysis class but cannot find my notes, I believe i have to find the section modulas of the T beam, find allowable stress and find moment? I do not remember exactly the formulas.

There are also cleats 1/4 intervals along length (L), do I consider this in my calcs?

Thank you
Asking this question on the Internet is not a good approach. You need to talk with a professional engineer in your area, and get them to help you with the calculations. Since it sounds like you are doing something structural, you will likely need to get your local Building Department to sign off on any changes in the structure (or new loads applied to this beam), and your company's insurance company will need to sign off on the changes/new application as well.

Thread is closed.

1. What is the definition of "Safe Work Load" for a T Beam?

The safe work load of a T beam refers to the maximum weight or load that can be safely supported by the beam without causing any structural damage or failure.

2. How is the safe work load of a T beam determined?

The safe work load of a T beam is determined through a series of calculations and tests, taking into account factors such as the material strength, beam dimensions, and the type of load it will be subjected to.

3. What factors can affect the safe work load of a T beam?

The safe work load of a T beam can be affected by factors such as the type and quality of the materials used, the design and dimensions of the beam, and the type and magnitude of the load it will be subjected to.

4. How can the safe work load of a T beam be increased?

The safe work load of a T beam can be increased by using stronger and higher quality materials, increasing the dimensions of the beam, or by adding additional support such as braces or reinforcements.

5. Is the safe work load of a T beam a static or dynamic value?

The safe work load of a T beam is a static value, meaning it is based on a specific set of conditions and does not take into account any potential changes or fluctuations in the load over time.