Sanity Check for Simple Extension Proof

In summary, the conversation was about an exercise from Garling's A Course in Galois Theory regarding field extensions. The main topic was a proof that stated if the degree of the extension is prime, then it is simple. The speaker shared their own proof and expressed their discomfort after finding a more complicated answer online. The proof was then confirmed to be correct.
Mandelbroth
This was an exercise out of Garling's A Course in Galois Theory.

Suppose ##L:K## is a field extension. If ##[L:K]## is prime, then ##L:K## is simple.

I've developed a habit of checking my work for these exercises religiously (the subject matter is gorgeously elegant, so I want to do it justice). I found a much more complicated answer than mine when I googled it, which makes me uncomfortable.

Here's my proof:

Suppose ##\alpha\in L## is not in ##K##. Because ##[L:K]=[L:K(\alpha)][K(\alpha):K]## and ##[K(\alpha):K]\neq 1##, we must have ##[K(\alpha):K]=[L:K]##. Because any two vector spaces with the same dimension over the same field are isomorphic, this completes the proof. []

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be in the homework forum by the way.

And yes, the proofs seems correct to me.

Likes 1 person
R136a1 said:
This should be in the homework forum by the way.
Oops! Indeed, it should. My apologies.

Thank you.

1. What is a "Sanity Check" for a Simple Extension Proof?

A "Sanity Check" for a Simple Extension Proof is a method used to ensure that the proof for a simple extension is valid and logically sound. It involves reviewing the assumptions, definitions, and logical steps used in the proof to identify any potential errors or inconsistencies.

2. Why is a "Sanity Check" important for a Simple Extension Proof?

A "Sanity Check" is important for a Simple Extension Proof because it helps to catch any mistakes or oversights in the proof before it is accepted as valid. It also ensures that the proof is clear and easily understandable to others.

3. What are some common mistakes to look for during a "Sanity Check" for a Simple Extension Proof?

Some common mistakes to look for during a "Sanity Check" for a Simple Extension Proof include incorrect use of definitions or axioms, missing steps in the logical argument, and circular reasoning.

4. How can a "Sanity Check" be performed for a Simple Extension Proof?

A "Sanity Check" for a Simple Extension Proof can be performed by carefully reviewing each step of the proof, checking for logical consistency and coherence. It can also be helpful to have another person review the proof to catch any mistakes that may have been missed.

5. What should be done if a mistake is found during a "Sanity Check" for a Simple Extension Proof?

If a mistake is found during a "Sanity Check" for a Simple Extension Proof, it should be corrected before the proof is considered valid. This may involve revising certain steps in the proof or providing additional justification for certain claims.