SAT for international student?

In summary, the individual plans to study electrical engineering at Cleveland State University in Ohio, but has decided to spend their first year at a community college to improve their math and physics skills. They hope to transfer to Ohio State University after this year, but will need to take the SAT exam. They are concerned about achieving the required score of 1500 and ask for general advice on preparing for the test. The expert suggests using the official SAT guide and Erica Meltzer's book for writing, and recommends PWNtheSAT or Khan Academy for math practice. They also mention the importance of time management and staying focused during the test. For further questions, they suggest using Google or seeking advice from others.
YYaaSSeeRR
hi
I will be in Ohio in August for studying Electrical engineering at Cleveland State university.
now I decided that I should spend my first year at community college so that I rebuild my math&physics foundation because I didn't get that quality of education in my home country.
during this year I will try to get into Ohio state university instead of CSU but I will need to take the SAT exam.
the required SAT score for OSU is around 1500 ,do you think it is hard for me to get that score?
is a 7 months period enough to prepare for this test?

what do you advice me in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
Advice? Use Google. This has been beaten to death.

I used to be a little annoyed at members who'd reply like that, but after some years on the internet, I'd be a hypocrite to be pissed at them for that!

At any rate, I'll try help, but I'll keep this brief.

Your main study book will be the official SAT guide. The Blue Book. I didn't find the explanations worth my time, and many will agree that you're buying the book for official exams. Depending on how bad you are at the test, you may want to save some of those exams and do one from another book.

The math and writing sections are the ones which you can really "drill" for. Critical Reading is a whole other beast, and other than practicing from the Blue Book, reading with comprehension, and reading faster while maintaining comprehension, and answering correctly (duh) with confidence, there is not much I can talk about.

For writing, you want to buy Erica Meltzer's book. It is the perfect resource, afaik. She also has a book of exams she wrote herself. Her book will teach you grammar, but only from the perspective of the test. Everything is geared towards the test and nothing else. Of course, what you learn will also help you with writing in general, but if that's your goal, you'd be better served with a book suited for that purpose. I hear Elements of Style is a good one, but I haven't read it.

But yeah, Erica Meltzer. Her book. Assuming you possesses a moderate amount of intelligence, this is all you need to get 750+. I'm not a native English speaker, and after correcting the issues I had (admittedly, they were not numerous), I would drop only 1 or 2 points out of 49. If I recall correctly, each answer comes with an explanation, and she also references where she talked about it more lengthily (i.e, the relevant chapter) in her book. She also has that for the questions in the Blue Book.

On her website, she also tackles the essay portion. I listened to her (some other people tout that method) and I got 10/12 (or something...) in the essay. The gist of is this: coherent arguments, relevance to the question, and for the love of god, FILL all pages.

For math, PWNtheSAT is good. Heard people say good things about Dr Chung's book, as well as Barron's. That said, the Blue Book coupled with Khan Academy (there's also 2 other guys who have videos on their website and lots of SAT math resources, can't remember who) should serve you well. Practice. A lot. When the material is this rudimentary, it's easy to get bored, but time is of essence in this test. And sometimes, you get very tricky questions or you're just tired/sleepy or panicking.

Any other questions, use Google. Or somebody else will be kind enough to answer. I think I've covered this well enough.

1. What is the SAT?

The SAT is a standardized test used by colleges and universities in the United States to assess a student's readiness for college. It measures a student's skills in reading, writing, and mathematics.

2. Can international students take the SAT?

Yes, the SAT is open to all students regardless of nationality. It is administered globally in over 175 countries.

3. Do international students need to take the SAT?

It depends on the college or university they are applying to. Some institutions may require the SAT as part of their admissions process, while others may have alternative requirements or not require the SAT at all. It is important for international students to research the admissions requirements of the schools they are interested in.

4. Is the SAT the same for international students as it is for domestic students?

Yes, the SAT is the same test for all students regardless of their nationality. However, there may be differences in test dates, registration procedures, and score reporting for international students.

5. Are there any resources available to help international students prepare for the SAT?

Yes, there are many resources available for international students to prepare for the SAT. These include online study guides, practice tests, and tutoring services. Additionally, the College Board, the organization that administers the SAT, offers free study materials and practice tests specifically for international students.