Sattelite orbiting mars, work done to change distance.

In summary, the question asks how much work is needed for a 2700 kg spacecraft in a circular orbit 1000 km above the surface of Mars to move to a circular orbit 4000 km above the surface. Using the equations for total mechanical energy and kinetic energy, it can be determined that the work required is 5.33 x 10^9 J. There was initially some confusion due to incorrect equations and calculations, but the correct answer was eventually obtained.
mark_dollar

Homework Statement

A 2700 kg spacecraft is in a circular orbit 1000 km above the surface of Mars. How much work must the spacecraft engines perform to move the spacecraft to a circular orbit that is 4000 km above the surface?

mars: Mass=6.4185*10^23 KG, radius=3397000 m

Homework Equations

TME=U+KE
U=Gm1m2/R
KE=.5Gm1m2/r (this doesn't seem right for some reason)

The Attempt at a Solution

U1+k1+work=U2+k2
work=U2+k2-(u1+k1)
u1=2.630*10^10
ke1=1.315*10^10
U2=2.891*10^10
Ke2=1.446*10^10
TME1=3.945*10^10
TME2=4.337*10^10
Work= TME2-TME1=3.92*10^9
webassign says I'm wrong. Is my equation for either KE or potential energy incorrrect? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using a negative for U ?

sure am

Sorry for replying late, I have a final for this intro mechanics tomorrow morning :)
This is the way i did it :

E1 (energy at lower orbit) = -GmM/2r1 where r1 is the radius of Mars + 1000 km
E2 (energy at higher orbit)= -GmM/2r2 , r2 is the radius or Mars + 1000 km

m is 2700 kg
M is mass of Mars.

E2-E1 = GmM/2 (1/r1 - 1/r2) gives 5.33 x 10^9 J

Thanks Ahmadmz, that's what I got too after I corrected my excel spreadsheet, had the wrong equation in for velocity. ( I do all my homework in excel)

Related to Sattelite orbiting mars, work done to change distance.

1. How do satellites orbit Mars?

Satellites orbit Mars in an elliptical path due to the planet's gravitational pull. The satellite is launched at a specific speed and angle to achieve a stable orbit around the planet.

2. What factors affect the distance of a satellite orbiting Mars?

The distance of a satellite orbiting Mars can be affected by its speed, the gravitational pull of Mars, and any external forces such as solar wind or atmospheric drag.

3. How is the distance of a satellite orbiting Mars changed?

The distance of a satellite orbiting Mars can be changed by adjusting its speed or by using thrusters to alter its trajectory. This can be done to achieve a higher or lower orbit, or to change the satellite's position relative to the planet.

4. Why would the distance of a satellite orbiting Mars need to be changed?

The distance of a satellite orbiting Mars may need to be changed in order to maintain a stable orbit, to avoid collisions with other satellites or debris, or to achieve specific scientific or observational objectives.

5. How is the work done to change the distance of a satellite orbiting Mars calculated?

The work done to change the distance of a satellite orbiting Mars is calculated using the formula W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance moved. The force and distance can be determined by measuring the changes in the satellite's velocity and position relative to Mars.