Scalar factors of parabolic cylindrical coords

In summary, the conversation is about finding scalar factors for parabolic cylindrical coordinates and the element dV using provided transformation equations. The product of the scalar factors is equal to dV, but the question is how to derive these scalar factors. The person is also unsure of where to start and how to show their work. They mention that they can use the scalar factors to find Laplacian, curl, and divergence, but they need help figuring out how to find the values. They also share a link to a picture they came up with using the Jacobian, but they are unsure if their assumption that hz=1 is valid. They are asking for assistance from the person named Luke.
lazyluke

Homework Statement

I have a question to find Scalar factors of parabolic cylindrical coords and element dV with provided tranformation equations. I know the values for both of them and that the product of the scalar factors is the dV, but how do i derive those scalar factors? I don't even know where to start, i know i can use them to find Laplacian, curl and divergence but how do i find those values? how do i show my work? Please help Thank You Luke

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Luke,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. To find the scalar factors of parabolic cylindrical coordinates, we first need to understand the transformation equations and how they relate to the Cartesian coordinates. The parabolic cylindrical coordinate system is a 2-dimensional coordinate system that is often used in cylindrical symmetry problems.

The transformation equations for parabolic cylindrical coordinates are:
x = u
y = v
z = u^2/2

To find the scalar factors, we need to take the determinant of the Jacobian matrix of the transformation equations. The Jacobian matrix is given by:
J = [∂x/∂u ∂x/∂v; ∂y/∂u ∂y/∂v; ∂z/∂u ∂z/∂v]

Taking the determinant of this matrix will give us the scalar factors. Once we have the scalar factors, we can use them to find the element dV, which is given by:
dV = scalar factors * du * dv

To show your work, you can write out the Jacobian matrix and take the determinant to find the scalar factors. You can also show your calculations for finding the element dV using the scalar factors.

I hope this helps you with your homework. Good luck with your studies!

Best,

1. What are scalar factors of parabolic cylindrical coordinates?

The scalar factors of parabolic cylindrical coordinates are mathematical values used to convert between Cartesian and parabolic cylindrical coordinates. They are denoted by h1 and h2 and are defined as the square root of the coefficients of the first and second derivatives of the parabolic cylindrical coordinate equations, respectively.

2. How are scalar factors of parabolic cylindrical coordinates calculated?

The scalar factors of parabolic cylindrical coordinates can be calculated using the following formulas:

h1 = √(1 + (αx)2)

h2 = √(1 + (αy)2)

Where α is the parameter defining the parabolic cylinder.

3. What is the significance of scalar factors in parabolic cylindrical coordinates?

The scalar factors play a crucial role in converting between Cartesian and parabolic cylindrical coordinates, as they allow for a more efficient and accurate representation of points in space. They also help in simplifying the equations for calculating distances and angles in parabolic cylindrical coordinates.

4. How do scalar factors affect the shape of parabolic cylinders?

The scalar factors affect the shape of parabolic cylinders by scaling the coordinates along the x and y axes. This results in a stretching or compression of the cylinder in different directions, depending on the value of α. A larger value of α will lead to a more elongated cylinder, while a smaller value will result in a more compressed cylinder.

5. Can scalar factors be negative in parabolic cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, scalar factors can be negative in parabolic cylindrical coordinates. This can happen when the parameter α is negative, which will result in a reflection of the coordinate system along the x or y axis. However, the sign of the scalar factors has no impact on the values of the coordinates, distances, or angles in the system.