What are the sizes of angles in a scalene triangle with given expressions?

In summary, The three angles of a scalene triangle are x degrees, (x-12) degrees, and (2x+6) degrees. By setting up the equation a+b+c=180 and isolating x, we find that x=46.5 degrees, (x-12)=34.5 degrees, and (2x+6)=99 degrees. These are the sizes of the angles in a scalene triangle.
Frank212

Homework Statement

The three angles of a scalene triangle are x degrees, (x-12) degrees and (2x+6) degrees. What sizes are the angles?[/B]
bandicam 2016-08-11 20-13-13-110.jpg

Homework Equations

Triangle = a+b+c =180
Scalene = no equal size or angles[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So what do you do with (x-12) degrees and (2x+6) degrees?
I tried putting them all in an equation to isolate x but it was an incorrect approach. I can't equally divide the triangle since it's a scalene triangle. Can someone give me a clue?
x+(x-12)+(2x+6)=180
x=93/2[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Frank212 said:
x+(x-12)+(2x+6)=180
Good. write it out using a+(b+c) = a+ b+ c etcetera...

Your approach is right:

a + b + c = 180
=> (x-12)+(2x+6) + x = 180

Now isolate x, and verify your results by filling x in the original question.

Frank212 said:
I tried putting them all in an equation to isolate x but it was an incorrect approach. I can't equally divide the triangle since it's a scalene triangle.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Hi Frank, :welcome: (a bit belated, but welcome nevertheless :smile:)
I notice you had a similar problem earlier and managed to solve it. Do you recognize that you are in the same situation with the current problem ?
Frank212 said:
Thank you ehild, your explanation really helped a lot.

45+(x+44)+(3x-23)+3x=360
7x+66=360
7x=294
7x/7=294/7
x=42

BvU said:
Hi Frank, :welcome: (a bit belated, but welcome nevertheless :smile:)
I notice you had a similar problem earlier and managed to solve it. Do you recognize that you are in the same situation with the current problem ?

Yeah but I'm not trying to find one variable, I'm trying to find 3 angles, according to the answers
bandicam 2016-08-11 20-08-46-363.jpg

Obviously I know the answers now but I want to understand the step by step process behind it so I can learn from it.

Math_QED said:
Your approach is right:

a + b + c = 180
=> (x-12)+(2x+6) + x = 180

Now isolate x, and verify your results by filling x in the original question.
What exactly do you mean by this?
Thanks a lot man, I got confused but now I understand it, after isolating x I just plug it into the equation.

x: 93/2 = 46.5 degrees
(x-12): 46.5-12= 34.5 degrees
a+b+c=180
46.5+34.5=81
180-81=99 degrees

What is a scalene triangle?

A scalene triangle is a type of triangle that has three different side lengths and three different angles. It is not symmetrical and does not have any equal sides or angles.

How do you find the angles of a scalene triangle?

To find the angles of a scalene triangle, you can use the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines. You will need to know the lengths of all three sides of the triangle to use these formulas.

Can a scalene triangle have a right angle?

Yes, a scalene triangle can have a right angle. This type of scalene triangle is called a right scalene triangle. It will have one angle that measures 90 degrees and two angles that are acute (less than 90 degrees).

What is the sum of the angles in a scalene triangle?

The sum of the angles in a scalene triangle is always 180 degrees. This is true for all types of triangles, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles.

Can a scalene triangle have two equal angles?

No, a scalene triangle cannot have two equal angles. Since a scalene triangle has three different angles, all three angles must be different from each other. If two angles were equal, it would no longer be a scalene triangle.