1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scaling up a test cannon to a life sized cannon

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Your task is to determine:

a.the length and bore of cannon that is required to accommodate an 80 kg Clown with an over-arm measurement of 48 inches

b.the amount of fuel that is required to launch the Clown at the same angle as you did with your model cannon .

c.the amount of fuel that is required to launch the Clown at the same angle as you did with your model cannon onto a foam mattress 30 m away.

Test Cannon
    Diameter of Ball: 7cm
    Length of Cannon Barrel: 21.5cm
    Length of Compression Chamber: 6.5cm
    Amount of Fuel Used: 2.6mL of Methanol
    Distance Travelled: 1.256m

Life Size Variables
    Diameter of Life Sized Clown: 60.96cm
    Distance Clown Must Travel: 30m
    Mass of Clown: 80kg
    Angle: 25°

3. The attempt at a solution

a. (Diameter of Clown/Diameter of Ball)xBore of Model Cannon=Bore of Real Cannon
    (62.661cm)
    (Bore of Life Sized Cannon/Bore of Model Cannon)xLength of Model Cannon= Barrel length of real cannon (185.653cm)

(length of model compression chamber/length of model barrel)xLength of life sized Cannon Barrel= Compression chamber of life sized cannon (56.122cm)

And I have no idea where to start with the estimating fuel part :(

This is a group project but its due tomorrow and I've been left with trying to finish it all by myself so I really really need help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not sure whether artillery scales as simply as that, but I don't know anything to the contrary.
    For the fuel, you could assume the fuel energy has to be scaled up the same as the kinetic energy at muzzle exit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook