How Does Light Intensity Change When Two Laser Beams Cross?

In summary, the problem involves two laser beams of different wavelengths and intensities crossing at an angle of 45°. The task is to determine the intensity of the light scattered out of the 633 nm beam. The context is classical optics and it is unclear which concept to apply in this scenario. There is no mention of any lecture notes or specific instructions for solving the problem.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

Two laser beams, one of wavelength 633 nm and intensity I1 = 4.00x106 W/m2 with a circular beam profile D1 = 1.33 mm in diameter, and one of wavelength 442 nm and intensity I2 = 4.00x106 W/m2 with the same circular beam profile are fired, crossing at an angle of θ = 45°. Determine the intensity of the light scattered out of the 633 nm beam.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure on how to begin this problem. I was thinking, that because of when light crosses with another light beam, this beam shouldn't be affected at all, so I was thinking that the intensity should be the same (I highly doubt this argument is correct though). If not, then how could we determine light scattering in this aspect? How would light interact with each other in this case?

Thanks for your patience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any context ? Relativity, electromagnetism, classical optics, introductory quantum mechanics, photon-photon scattering in high-energy physics?

BvU said:
Any context ? Relativity, electromagnetism, classical optics, introductory quantum mechanics, photon-photon scattering in high-energy physics?
Context is classical optics (I'm not sure which concept to apply here though).

Can't think of anything in classical optics or electromagnetism that scatters light with light: all is linear in the Maxwell equations and superposition holds. Perhaps that's what they want you to declare.
No clue in the lecture notes or anything ?

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of scattering of light. When two laser beams cross, they can interact with each other and cause scattering, which is the process of light being redirected in different directions. This can happen due to various factors such as the properties of the laser beams (wavelength, intensity, beam profile, etc.) and the angle at which they intersect.

In this specific scenario, we have two laser beams with different wavelengths and intensities crossing at an angle of 45°. This means that the beams will interact with each other and some amount of light will be scattered out of the 633 nm beam. To determine the intensity of the scattered light, we can use the formula for scattering cross-section, which is given by σ = (8π/3) * (r0^2) * |E1|^2 * |E2|^2 * cos^2(θ/2), where r0 is the classical electron radius, E1 and E2 are the electric field amplitudes of the two beams, and θ is the angle between the two beams.

Using this formula and plugging in the given values, we can calculate the scattering cross-section for the 633 nm beam. From there, we can determine the intensity of the scattered light by multiplying the cross-section by the intensity of the incident beam. This will give us the intensity of the light scattered out of the 633 nm beam.

In conclusion, the intensity of the scattered light can be determined by considering the properties of the incident beams and using the formula for scattering cross-section. This approach takes into account the interaction between the two beams and provides a quantitative understanding of the scattering process.

Related to How Does Light Intensity Change When Two Laser Beams Cross?

What is scattering of two laser beams?

Scattering of two laser beams refers to the phenomenon in which two laser beams intersect and interact with each other, resulting in changes in their direction, intensity, or polarization.

What are the factors that affect the scattering of two laser beams?

The factors that affect the scattering of two laser beams include the wavelength, intensity, angle of intersection, and polarization of the beams, as well as the properties of the medium through which the beams are passing.

What are the different types of scattering that can occur between two laser beams?

The three main types of scattering that can occur between two laser beams are elastic scattering, inelastic scattering, and stimulated scattering. Elastic scattering involves no change in energy, while inelastic scattering involves a change in energy. Stimulated scattering is a type of inelastic scattering in which one beam induces the emission of another beam.

What are some applications of scattering of two laser beams?

Scattering of two laser beams has various applications in fields such as spectroscopy, optical communication, and laser-based measurements. It is also used in research to study the properties of materials and to create optical traps for manipulating microscopic particles.

How can the scattering of two laser beams be controlled or manipulated?

The scattering of two laser beams can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the parameters of the beams, such as their intensity, polarization, and angle of intersection. It can also be controlled by using specialized optical components such as beam splitters, polarizers, and mirrors.