Brainstorming Science Fair Projects!

In summary, the person is asking for ideas on a science fair project, and they recommend building a Wheatstone Bridge and using it to test whether lie detectors work.
Lazernugget
Dear Physics Forums!

I am in need of ideas. I plan on entering my town's science fair for the first time soon. I have no idea what I want my project to be though. I specialize in Physics (math), Quantum physics, particle physics, and Electronics (Engineering) I wish for you guys' input on good science fair project IDEAS. :D Thank you, that is all,

Lazernugget

Physics news on Phys.org
Science fairs tend to be high school level or below. What education level are you at, and what do you mean by 'specialize'?

Well, I'm only about 11, (5th grade), but I am considerably the smartest one in my class. (no offense to my classmates, they still rock) and I read a lot of math/physics books, do math WAY beyond my level, and watch documentaries too. I mean specialize as in, I do good in those categories (And more, those are just my favorites)

Lazernugget said:
Well, I'm only about 11, (5th grade), but I am considerably the smartest one in my class. (no offense to my classmates, they still rock) and I read a lot of math/physics books, do math WAY beyond my level, and watch documentaries too. I mean specialize as in, I do good in those categories (And more, those are just my favorites)

It's great you have a passion for science and math but to get the most out of your current and future education you should get your ego in check, even if you're the smartest one in class.

That said, it's hard to believe you actually know anything about, for example, particle physics, especially considering this thread in which you ask the definition of [tex]\Sigma[/tex] among other symbols: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3102866#post3102866.

Your best bet is to try to understand more of the basic (and still very interesting) fundamentals before you try to do a project in QM or particle physics.

Part of the fun behind a science fair project is coming up with the idea yourself.

For inspiration, you can look up national science fairs and read about what the winners in your age group have done and either build onone of them, or try something similar, but a unique twist.

Looks like you might be getting a bit ahead of yourself, physics-wise. How about building a Wheatstone Bridge (you can find everything for it at RadioShack, or at least you could a few years ago, the last time I went in one) and using it to find out if lie detectors really work? That would be pretty impressive for someone your age, but shouldn't be too hard to do.

Newtime said:
It's great you have a passion for science and math but to get the most out of your current and future education you should get your ego in check, even if you're the smartest one in class.

That said, it's hard to believe you actually know anything about, for example, particle physics, especially considering this thread in which you ask the definition of [tex]\Sigma[/tex] among other symbols: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3102866#post3102866.

Your best bet is to try to understand more of the basic (and still very interesting) fundamentals before you try to do a project in QM or particle physics.

Thanks, but I know what the sigma is along with 6 other higher level mathematical symbols, I already get the basics. Why, just today I was bored in class, so I proofed some stuff, and continued reading my trigonometry textbook. I am actually great at Particle physics, and the other stuff I mentioned. A seventh grade teacher (2 grades above me) gave me general relativity books to read, and Stephen Hawking tapes to listen to. I thank you for your advise though, I just find I don't quite feel like doing simpler easier stuff. Thanks :smile: :smile:

I think you might be fooling yourself as to the level of material you're reading. General relativity is a graduate-level physics course, and not something any of your teachers would have every studied themselves. Sounds like you're reading popular physics books written for the lay-person. While those are often good (although often speculative as well) they are not actually teaching you how to do physics.

Eh...okay? Anyway...

So, what is the math that is WAY above your level that you do? Lebesgue integration? Differential forms? Group representations? Maybe you can try to do something with those things??

Do you know something about differential equations? I think I know a cool project idea that uses them...

Lazernugget said:
Eh...okay? Anyway...

People are just trying to say that you need to get your ego in check before you're going to get anywhere in science. Trust me, thinking that you're a genius will only lead you to frustration down the road. It's great that you're doing all this stuff, but letting it get to your head is most definitely not great. It's near impossible to learn if you don't have the humility to admit the imperfection of your knowledge. Not to mention that people don't tend to like being around someone who thinks he's smarter than everyone else. Even if you don't rub it in their noses, people can tell if you think you're smarter than them.

That said, I'm not saying you should limit your project to something easy, but it's a lot more impressive if you pull off something moderately difficult really well than if you stumble through something far above your level. Think of music. A moderately difficult song played perfectly is much more impressive than someone playing a really difficult song poorly.

Use your imagination: and don't try to think of an idea that's inherently impressive. Look for an idea that sounds interesting, and is also at least reasonably simple, and then pull it off to perfection. I think you'll enjoy something you come up with on your own a lot more than using someone else's ideas.

What is brainstorming and why is it important for science fair projects?

Brainstorming is a process of generating ideas and solutions through group discussion and collaboration. It is important for science fair projects because it allows for a wide range of ideas to be considered and encourages creativity and innovation.

How can I come up with a unique and interesting science fair project?

To come up with a unique and interesting science fair project, try to think outside the box and explore topics that are not commonly studied. Consider your own interests and hobbies, and think about how you can apply scientific principles to them. You can also do research and read articles to get inspiration for new and innovative ideas.

What are some tips for effective brainstorming for science fair projects?

Some tips for effective brainstorming for science fair projects include setting a time limit, encouraging all ideas to be shared without judgment, and building upon each other's ideas. It can also be helpful to have a diverse group of people with different backgrounds and perspectives involved in the brainstorming process.

How many ideas should I aim to generate during a brainstorming session for science fair projects?

The number of ideas generated during a brainstorming session for science fair projects can vary depending on the group and the topic. It is important to focus on quality over quantity, and to keep generating ideas until you have a good selection to choose from.

How do I select the best idea for my science fair project from the ones generated through brainstorming?

To select the best idea for your science fair project, consider the feasibility, originality, and relevance of each idea. You can also discuss the ideas with others and get their feedback. Ultimately, the best idea will be one that you are passionate about and are excited to explore further.