Realism of Seaquest DSV Submarine Design: Fact or Fiction?

In summary, the Seaquest DSV submarine design is not very realistic compared to real-life counterparts due to its flatness and windows, which could potentially weaken the structure and limit storage capacity. The shape also induces drag and lift, making it less efficient in water. However, the design does not completely hinder its function as seen by the submersibles with windows descending into the Mariana Trench. Real-life submarines are designed with a cigar-like or teardrop shape for more efficient movement in water. The Seaquest DSV can be seen more as a piece of art rather than a practical submarine design.
Whitestar
I've often wondered how realistic the Seaquest DSV submarine design was.

Here are some attachments I've included:

Seaquest schematics 1.png
Seaquest schematics 3.jpg
Seaquest schematics 2.png

https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/326651779206382460/

I would imagine that having windows on the sub would represent structural weakness and it's overall flatness design would make any kind of storage capacity to be a nightmare.

How realistic is the Seaquest DSV submarine design compared to it's real-life counterparts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whitestar said:
I would imagine that having windows on the sub would represent structural weakness and it's overall flatness design would make any kind of storage capacity to be a nightmare.
No more so than any other deviation from the basic best shape of a sphere( difficult to propel ) or a cylinder, such as where one would find things such as hatches. Maybe the glass for the window is of a different chemical composition from what we consider as glass.
Any flat surface would need beefy interior structural re-enforcement.

Likes russ_watters and Whitestar
The shape looks like it would induce a lot of drag from turbulent flow, while the nose would generate lift.
I suppose windows are not a showstopper - the submersibles descending into the Mariana Trench had windows after all.

Likes russ_watters, Whitestar and BvU
Bandersnatch said:
The shape looks like it would induce a lot of drag from turbulent flow, while the nose would generate lift.
I suppose windows are not a showstopper - the submersibles descending into the Mariana Trench had windows after all.

Really? How does the shape would induce tremendous drag from turbulent flow, considering it's sleek design?

I don't know about tremendous, but in general every shape deviation from the teardrop-shaped tube, i.e. every hole in the hull, every sharp corner or protrusion, will entrap the flow. That central bulb with its separation from the rest of the hull looks like the main offender here.

Likes Whitestar and berkeman
Seaquest DSV
3D models are better to explain the origin of the shape - it is not that bad.

856fdf_99094fedd64c4be7a2e9620ad364a897.webp

From here

But:
..the ship has a crush depth of more than 9 km of water...

Sorry, but that makes it a big NO.
At that depth anything else but strictly circular cross sections for the pressure hull - no.

Some of these deep ocean vehicles have a spherical pressure hull buried in an outer hull that could be designed to let it slip through the water with less turbulence.

• Informative
Likes Whitestar and berkeman
Bandersnatch said:
I don't know about tremendous, but in general every shape deviation from the teardrop-shaped tube, i.e. every hole in the hull, every sharp corner or protrusion, will entrap the flow. That central bulb with its separation from the rest of the hull looks like the main offender here.

Interesting! :cool: So, there is a logical reason as to why real-life submarines are designed as cigar-like or teardrop-shape tubes, eh?

Whitestar said:
Really? How does the shape would induce tremendous drag from turbulent flow, considering it's sleek design?
Whitestar said:
Interesting! :cool: So, there is a logical reason as to why real-life submarines are designed as cigar-like or teardrop-shape tubes, eh?
It isn't sleek at all! Teardrop = sleek. Complicated shapes = not sleek.
Whitestar said:
I've often wondered how realistic the Seaquest DSV submarine design was.

How realistic is the Seaquest DSV submarine design compared to it's real-life counterparts?
The Seaquest DSV wasn't a "design" (as a submarine). It is, and should only be thought of as a piece of art.

Likes Whitestar
Whitestar said:
So, there is a logical reason as to why real-life submarines are designed as cigar-like or teardrop-shape tubes, eh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Albacore_(AGSS-569)

But I think your question is "why doesn't the fictional submarine look like real ones" rather than the reverse.

Likes Whitestar and russ_watters

1. What is the purpose of the Seaquest DSV submarine design?

The Seaquest DSV (Deep Submergence Vehicle) was designed for deep sea exploration and research. Its main purpose is to allow scientists and researchers to study the ocean and its inhabitants in a safe and controlled environment.

2. How does the Seaquest DSV submarine design protect against the high pressure of the ocean depths?

The Seaquest DSV is built with a strong and durable hull made of steel and titanium, which can withstand the immense pressure of the deep ocean. The design also includes reinforced pressure-resistant windows and doors, as well as a ballast system that maintains the submarine's buoyancy at different depths.

3. What technologies are used in the Seaquest DSV submarine design?

The Seaquest DSV is equipped with advanced navigation and communication systems, as well as sonar and radar technology for mapping the ocean floor. It also has a variety of scientific instruments and equipment for conducting experiments and collecting data, such as cameras, sensors, and sampling tools.

4. How is the Seaquest DSV submarine design powered?

The Seaquest DSV uses a combination of diesel-electric and battery-powered systems for propulsion. It also has a nuclear reactor for long-term power supply during extended missions. The submarine's design allows for efficient and quiet movement underwater.

5. What safety features are included in the Seaquest DSV submarine design?

The Seaquest DSV is equipped with redundant systems and emergency protocols to ensure the safety of the crew in case of any malfunctions or accidents. It also has a rescue chamber that can be deployed in case of emergency and can hold the entire crew until help arrives.