Second Harmonic - Standing Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses how to arrange a string under tension to vibrate in its second harmonic mode. This can be achieved by driving the string at a frequency that is twice the fundamental frequency, also known as a resonant frequency. Resonance plays a key role in creating standing waves on a string of fixed length and tension.
Peter G.
Hi,

Question: Describe how you would arrange for a string that is et under tension, with both ends fixed, to vibrate in its second harmonic mode.

Ok, the string has a speed, v, and wavelength, w, which give it a fundamental frequency, f. If we want the second harmonic, we have to change the frequency so that a full wave fits the length of the string. So in this case we would need twice the frequency, or half the wavelength.

I think this is how you would do it but, as you can see, I am still a bit confused. How could I formally answer this question?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would formally answer the question just like you did. "Drive the string with a frequency that is twice the first harmonic or twice the fundamental frequency."

Ok, cool. Just one more question (I hope it is not too general): I don't understand how resonance comes into Standing Waves...

Peter G. said:
Ok, cool. Just one more question (I hope it is not too general): I don't understand how resonance comes into Standing Waves...
Suppose you have a string of fixed length under fixed tension and you have a waveform generator that you can use to drive the string at the frequency of your choice. If you match the driving frequency to one of the harmonics, then you get a standing wave. Otherwise you don't. The frequencies that create the standing waves are the "resonant" frequencies.

Ah ok, got it! Thanks a lot! :smile:

Can u help me to more understand about standing wave?

1. What is a second harmonic standing wave?

A second harmonic standing wave is a type of standing wave pattern that occurs when a wave reflects off of a fixed boundary and creates a wave with twice the frequency and half the wavelength of the original wave. This results in a pattern where certain points along the wave appear to be standing still while other points have maximum displacement.

2. How is a second harmonic standing wave created?

A second harmonic standing wave is created when a wave reflects off of a fixed boundary and interferes with the original wave. This interference causes the wave to add and subtract from itself, creating a standing wave pattern with nodes (points of minimum displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement).

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength in a second harmonic standing wave?

In a second harmonic standing wave, the frequency is twice that of the original wave and the wavelength is half of the original wave. This relationship is due to the interference of the reflected and original wave, resulting in a pattern that has double the frequency and half the wavelength.

4. What is the difference between a second harmonic standing wave and a fundamental standing wave?

The main difference between a second harmonic standing wave and a fundamental standing wave is the frequency and wavelength. A fundamental standing wave has the same frequency and wavelength as the original wave, while a second harmonic standing wave has double the frequency and half the wavelength of the original wave.

5. What is the significance of second harmonic standing waves?

Second harmonic standing waves have a variety of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and music. They can be used to study wave behavior and properties, as well as to create musical tones and tune instruments. They also play a role in phenomena such as resonance and standing wave patterns in musical instruments.