1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Harmonic - Standing Waves

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    Hi,

Question: Describe how you would arrange for a string that is et under tension, with both ends fixed, to vibrate in its second harmonic mode.

Ok, the string has a speed, v, and wavelength, w, which give it a fundamental frequency, f. If we want the second harmonic, we have to change the frequency so that a full wave fits the length of the string. So in this case we would need twice the frequency, or half the wavelength.

I think this is how you would do it but, as you can see, I am still a bit confused. How could I formally answer this question?

Thanks,
    Peter G.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You would formally answer the question just like you did. "Drive the string with a frequency that is twice the first harmonic or twice the fundamental frequency."

4. Sep 10, 2011 #3
    Ok, cool. Just one more question (I hope it is not too general): I don't understand how resonance comes into Standing Waves...

5. Sep 10, 2011 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose you have a string of fixed length under fixed tension and you have a waveform generator that you can use to drive the string at the frequency of your choice. If you match the driving frequency to one of the harmonics, then you get a standing wave. Otherwise you don't. The frequencies that create the standing waves are the "resonant" frequencies.

6. Sep 10, 2011 #5
    Ah ok, got it! Thanks a lot! :smile:

7. Sep 17, 2011 #6
    Can u help me to more understand about standing wave?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook