Second order differential equation

This leads to (dy/dx) = -ae^{-x} - be^{-x} and (d^2y/dx^2) = ae^{-x} + be^{-x}. Plugging these into the original equation, we get -ae^{-x} - be^{-x} + ae^{-x} + be^{-x} = e^{-x}, which simplifies to 0=0. This means that any values of a and b work, and therefore, any particular integral of the form y = ke^{-x} will work.
mr bob
I just came across this one, was going really well until i came across this one.

(d^2y/dx^2) + (dy/dx) = e^(-x)
m^2 + m = 0
m = -1 and m = 0

Now i get the particular integral
Try y = ke^(-x)
(dy/dx) = -ke^(-k)
(d^2y/dx^2) = ke^(-x)

ke^(-x) - ke^(-x) = e^(-x)

I get stuck here as k-k= 0, not one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
mr bob said:
I just came across this one, was going really well until i came across this one.

(d^2y/dx^2) + (dy/dx) = e^(-x)
m^2 + m = 0
m = -1 and m = 0

Now i get the particular integral
Try y = ke^(-x)
(dy/dx) = -ke^(-k)
(d^2y/dx^2) = ke^(-x)ke^(-x) - ke^(-x) = e^(-x)

I get stuck here as k-k= 0, not one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try [tex]y=axe^{-x} +be^{-x}[/tex]

-Dan

Last edited:

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of an unknown function. It is often used to describe physical systems, such as the motion of objects or the behavior of electrical circuits.

2. How is a second order differential equation different from a first order differential equation?

A second order differential equation involves a second derivative of the unknown function, while a first order differential equation only involves a first derivative. This means that a second order differential equation has more complexity and can represent more complex systems.

3. What is the general form of a second order differential equation?

The general form of a second order differential equation is: y''(x) + p(x)y'(x) + q(x)y(x) = r(x), where y is the unknown function, x is the independent variable, p(x) and q(x) are functions of x, and r(x) is a function of x.

4. What are the different methods for solving a second order differential equation?

Some common methods for solving a second order differential equation include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and using power series. The appropriate method to use depends on the specific form of the equation and the initial conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as describing the motion of objects under the influence of forces, predicting population growth, modeling electrical circuits, and analyzing the behavior of mechanical systems. They are also used in economics and finance to model growth and decay of investments or populations.