Second order non-linear differential equation involving log

In summary: Homework Statement Solve:x y^{\prime \prime} = y^{\prime} \log (\frac{y^{\prime}}{x})Note: This is the first part of an undergraduate applications course in differential equations. We were taught to solve second order non-linear equations by doing tricks such as substituting u = y^{\prime}, factoring, and then dealing with the two cases that result.Homework EquationsNone.The Attempt at a SolutionIn summary, the problem is solved by using a substitution of u = y^{\prime} and factoring to get x u^{\prime} = u \log(\frac{u}{x}). Then, by separating the variables, we get
5hassay
EDIT: my problem is solved, thank you to those who helped

Homework Statement

Solve:

[itex]x y^{\prime \prime} = y^{\prime} \log (\frac{y^{\prime}}{x})[/itex]

Note: This is the first part of an undergraduate applications course in differential equations. We were taught to solve second order non-linear equations by doing tricks such as substituting [itex]u = y^{\prime}[/itex], factoring, and then dealing with the two cases that result.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried [itex]u := y^{\prime}[/itex], so [itex]u^{\prime} = y^{\prime \prime}[/itex], and so substitution gives

[itex]x u^{\prime} = u \log(\frac{u}{x})[/itex]

but I can't seem to be able to do anything with that.

I also I noticed that

[itex] y^{\prime \prime} = y^{\prime} x^{-1} \log(y^{\prime} x^{-1}) [/itex]

which I thought was interesting. But I couldn't really do anything with it.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about log (y'/x) = log (y') - log (x)?

5hassay said:

Homework Statement

Solve:

Note: This is the first part of an undergraduate applications course in differential equations. We were taught to solve second order non-linear equations by doing tricks such as substituting [itex]u = y^{\prime}[/itex], factoring, and then dealing with the two cases that result.

Homework Equations

None.

I tried [itex]u := y^{\prime}[/itex], so [itex]u^{\prime} = y^{\prime \prime}[/itex], and so substitution gives

I also I noticed that

Thank you.

You want to try and find a variable change that will make it separable. Since you have u/x in the log, substituting xv=u might be a good thing to try.

Likes 1 person
5hassay said:

Homework Statement

Solve:

Homework Equations

None.

I also I noticed that

Thank you.
You have [itex]x u^{\prime} = u \log(\frac{u}{x})[/itex]. This can be rewritten as
[tex]\frac{d \ln u}{d\ln x}=\ln(u)-\ln(x)[/tex]
Let ln(u) = w and ln(x) = z

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
You want to try and find a variable change that will make it separable. Since you have u/x in the log, substituting xv=u might be a good thing to try.

thanks for the help.

OK, that was productive. Here's what I did:

[itex]v := \frac{y^{\prime}}{x} \Longrightarrow v^{\prime} = \frac{x y^{\prime \prime} - y^{\prime}}{x^2} \Longrightarrow x^2 v^{\prime} + y^{\prime} = x y^{\prime \prime}[/itex]

Substituting,

[itex]x^2 v^{\prime} + y^{\prime} = y^{\prime} \log(v) \Longrightarrow x v^{\prime} + v = v \log(v)[/itex]
[itex]\Longrightarrow \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{v \log(v) - v}{x} \Longrightarrow (v - v \log(v)) dx + x dv = 0[/itex]

[itex]M := v - v \log(v)[/itex]
[itex]N := x[/itex]

[itex]M_v = 1 - \log(v) - 1 = -\log(v) \neq 1 = N_x[/itex]

so the equation is not exact. But

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{N_x - M_v}{M} = \frac{1 + log(v)}{v(1 - \log(v))} \neq f(v)}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{M_v - N_x}{N} = -\frac{\log(v) + 1}{x} \neq f(x)}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{N_x - M_v}{x M - v N} = -\frac{1 + \log(v)}{x v \log(v)} \neq f(xv)}[/itex]

so I am stuck (one of those works when we are given a separable equation in my course).

5hassay said:
thanks for the help.

OK, that was productive. Here's what I did:

[itex]v := \frac{y^{\prime}}{x} \Longrightarrow v^{\prime} = \frac{x y^{\prime \prime} - y^{\prime}}{x^2} \Longrightarrow x^2 v^{\prime} + y^{\prime} = x y^{\prime \prime}[/itex]

Substituting,

[itex]x^2 v^{\prime} + y^{\prime} = y^{\prime} \log(v) \Longrightarrow x v^{\prime} + v = v \log(v)[/itex]
[itex]\Longrightarrow \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{v \log(v) - v}{x} \Longrightarrow (v - v \log(v)) dx + x dv = 0[/itex]

[itex]M := v - v \log(v)[/itex]
[itex]N := x[/itex]

[itex]M_v = 1 - \log(v) - 1 = -\log(v) \neq 1 = N_x[/itex]

so the equation is not exact. But

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{N_x - M_v}{M} = \frac{1 + log(v)}{v(1 - \log(v))} \neq f(v)}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{M_v - N_x}{N} = -\frac{\log(v) + 1}{x} \neq f(x)}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{N_x - M_v}{x M - v N} = -\frac{1 + \log(v)}{x v \log(v)} \neq f(xv)}[/itex]

so I am stuck (one of those works when we are given a separable equation in my course).

xv'+v=vlog(v) is already separable. Just separate it and go from there.

Chestermiller said:
You have [itex]x u^{\prime} = u \log(\frac{u}{x})[/itex]. This can be rewritten as
[tex]\frac{d \ln u}{d\ln x}=\ln(u)-\ln(x)[/tex]
Let ln(u) = w and ln(x) = z

thanks for the help.

I don't know how to evaluate

[itex]\frac{d \log(u)}{d \log(x)}[/itex]

I understand that I would be differentiating [itex]\log(u)[/itex] as a function of [itex]\log(x)[/itex], but I don't see how that is a function of [itex]\log(x)[/itex].

Dick said:
xv'+v=vlog(v) is already separable. Just separate it and go from there.

true. OK, then

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{v \log(v) - v}{x} \Longrightarrow \int{\frac{1}{v} \cdot \frac{1}{\log(v) - 1}} dv = \int{\frac{1}{x}}} dx[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\Longrightarrow \log(\log(v) - 1) = \log(x) + C \Longrightarrow \log(v) - 1 = C x \Longrightarrow v = \frac{y^{\prime}}{x} = e^{C x + 1}}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\Longrightarrow y = \int{x e^{C x + 1}} dx = x \frac{1}{C} e^{C x + 1} - \frac{1}{C} \int{e^{C x + 1}} dx = \frac{1}{C^2} e^{C x + 1} (C x - 1) + D}[/itex]

where I just re-used [itex]C[/itex] for [itex]e^C[/itex].

I haven't verified it yet by substituting

Last edited:
5hassay said:
true. OK, then

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{v \log(v) - v}{x} \Longrightarrow \int{\frac{1}{v} \cdot \frac{1}{\log(v) - 1}} dv = \int{\frac{1}{x}}} dx[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\Longrightarrow \log(\log(v) - 1) = \log(x) + C \Longrightarrow \log(v) - 1 = C x \Longrightarrow v = \frac{y^{\prime}}{x} = e^{C x + 1}}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle{\Longrightarrow y = \int{x e^{C x + 1}} dx = x \frac{1}{C} e^{C x + 1} - \int{e^{C x + 1}} dx = \frac{1}{C} e^{C x + 1} (x - 1) + D}[/itex]

where I just re-used [itex]C[/itex] for [itex]e^C[/itex].

I haven't verified it yet by substituting

Looks fine for v, but I think you dropped a C when you were integrating by parts.

5hassay said:
thanks for the help.

I don't know how to evaluate

[itex]\frac{d \log(u)}{d \log(x)}[/itex]

I understand that I would be differentiating [itex]\log(u)[/itex] as a function of [itex]\log(x)[/itex], but I don't see how that is a function of [itex]\log(x)[/itex].
If u is a function of x, then it is a function of ln(x).

Dick said:
Looks fine for v, but I think you dropped a C when you were integrating by parts.

awesome. Also, I also think you are correct about the missing [itex]C[/itex], thank you--I shall update that post. Thank you for your help!

5hassay said:
awesome. Also, I also think you are correct about the missing [itex]C[/itex], thank you--I shall update that post. Thank you for your help!

Very welcome! If you want some extra practice you should try doing it Chestermiller's way as well, it's very nice if you don't mind keeping track of a few extra substitution variables.

What is a second order non-linear differential equation involving log?

A second order non-linear differential equation involving log is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function, as well as the function itself, and the natural logarithm. It takes the form of y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = ln(r(x)), where y'' represents the second derivative, p(x) and q(x) are functions of x, and r(x) is a function of x that is being evaluated using the natural logarithm.

What is the purpose of using logs in a second order non-linear differential equation?

The purpose of using logs in a second order non-linear differential equation is to make the equation more solvable. By using logarithms, the equation can be transformed into a linear equation, which is easier to manipulate and solve. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior and solutions of the equation.

How do you solve a second order non-linear differential equation involving log?

To solve a second order non-linear differential equation involving log, first transform the equation into a linear equation by taking the natural logarithm of both sides. Then, use techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters to find the general solution. Finally, use initial conditions to determine the particular solution.

What are the applications of second order non-linear differential equations involving log?

Second order non-linear differential equations involving log have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. They can be used to model complex systems and phenomena, such as oscillations, population growth, and chemical reactions. They are also used in financial modelling and in analyzing data in biology and medicine.

What are some common mistakes when solving a second order non-linear differential equation involving log?

Some common mistakes when solving a second order non-linear differential equation involving log include forgetting to take the natural logarithm of both sides, making algebraic errors when manipulating the equation, and not properly accounting for initial conditions. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions when solving logarithmic equations.