Seebeck Coefficient from the BTE

• Thread starter mcodesmart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficient
In summary: This is why it is calculated by taking the weighted average of the Seebeck coefficient for each band, where the weights are the energy dependent electrical conductivities for each band. In summary, the speaker is trying to model the Seebeck coefficient, electrical conductivity, and lattice thermal conductivity for a thermoelectric material using the BTE with the RTA. They have two questions: first, why is the total Seebeck coefficient calculated by taking the weighted average of the Seebeck coefficient for each band, and second, is there a way to include the effect of grain boundaries on the lattice thermal conductivity by using the mean free path due to grain boundary scattering. The paper referenced discusses using effective medium theory for modeling grain boundaries in carrier transport. Additionally, the
mcodesmart
I am trying to model the Seebeck coefficient and the electrical conductivity and lattice thermal conductivity for a thermoelectric material from the BTE using the RTA. I have two questions.

1. I am going to calculate each band separately and add. The electrical conductivity per band can be added together to find the total conductivity. However, the I saw in one paper that the total Seebeck coefficient is weighted by the electrical conductivity weighted average of the of the Seebeck coefficient per unit band. Why is this?

2. I am working with a material that has many grain boundaries. After I calculate the bulk crystalline properties, is there any way that I can include the effect of the grain boundaries on the lattice thermal conductivity? I know the average grain size and I would like a way to model this.

Physics news on Phys.org
mcodesmart said:
I am trying to model the Seebeck coefficient and the electrical conductivity and lattice thermal conductivity for a thermoelectric material from the BTE using the RTA. I have two questions.

1. I am going to calculate each band separately and add. The electrical conductivity per band can be added together to find the total conductivity. However, the I saw in one paper that the total Seebeck coefficient is weighted by the electrical conductivity weighted average of the of the Seebeck coefficient per unit band. Why is this?

I did not understand the second line of that question. Could you please revise it? Also, could you cite the paper you were referring?

2. I am working with a material that has many grain boundaries. After I calculate the bulk crystalline properties, is there any way that I can include the effect of the grain boundaries on the lattice thermal conductivity? I know the average grain size and I would like a way to model this.

This is a very crude approach: you can try and determine the mean free path due to the grain boundary scattering i.e [itex]\lambda_{grain}[/itex]. Then you can find the effective means free path ([itex]\lambda_{eff}[/itex]) using the resistors in parallel formula, where the mean free path due to each scattering mechanism is analogous to one of the resistors in the network.

[itex]\frac{1}{\lambda_{eff}} = \frac{1}{\lambda_{grain}} + \frac{1}{\lambda_{impurity}} + ... etc.[/itex]

Now, if you can determine the reflection probability of your carriers, on average, at a grain boundary then you can estimate the mean free path due to the grain boundary scattering; see this probability is “p.” Then the carrier has to pass, on average, “1/p” grain boundaries before it gets completely reflected. If you multiply this by the average size of the grain then you can determine the mean free path due to grain boundary scattering.

I don't know if anyone uses this method, nor do I know of it's accuracy. This is what made sense to me. If, however, you want to be more certain and/or want to be more rigorous than I suggest you take a look at “effective medium theory.” This is a very fancy method commonly used to model grain boundaries in carrier transport.

Last edited:
Satyala, N. and D. Vashaee (2012), Journal of Electronic Materials 41(6): 1785-1791.

The total Seebeck coefficient they used was the following -

[itex]S_{tot}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\sum_{i} σ_i S_i }{\sum_i σ_i}[/itex]

Why not just use [itex]S_{tot} = \sum_{i} S_i [/itex]

Is the seebeck coefficient dependent on the electrical conductivity for each band.. I am quite confused

mcodesmart said:
Satyala, N. and D. Vashaee (2012), Journal of Electronic Materials 41(6): 1785-1791.

The total Seebeck coefficient they used was the following -

[itex]S_{tot}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\sum_{i} σ_i S_i }{\sum_i σ_i}[/itex]

Why not just use [itex]S_{tot} = \sum_{i} S_i [/itex]

Is the seebeck coefficient dependent on the electrical conductivity for each band.. I am quite confused

Seebeck coefficient is a function of energy; just like conductivity. Therefore when you want the total Seebeck coefficient, it has to be weighted by their energy dependent conductivities.

1. What is the Seebeck Coefficient?

The Seebeck Coefficient, also known as the thermoelectric power or thermopower, is a measure of the conversion efficiency of heat into electrical energy in a material. It describes the magnitude of the voltage generated in a material when a temperature gradient is applied.

2. How is the Seebeck Coefficient calculated?

The Seebeck Coefficient is calculated using the Boltzmann Transport Equation (BTE), which takes into account the electronic band structure, lattice vibrations, and impurities in a material. It is also influenced by temperature, carrier concentration, and material composition.

3. What is the significance of the Seebeck Coefficient in thermoelectric materials?

The Seebeck Coefficient is a critical factor in determining the efficiency of thermoelectric materials. A higher Seebeck Coefficient indicates a greater ability to convert heat into electricity, making a material more suitable for use in thermoelectric devices. It is also a key parameter in understanding the transport properties of a material.

4. How does the Seebeck Coefficient vary with temperature?

The Seebeck Coefficient is temperature-dependent and typically decreases with increasing temperature. This is due to the increase in thermal energy, which can disrupt the charge carriers and decrease their ability to generate an electrical voltage.

5. Can the Seebeck Coefficient be used to predict a material's thermoelectric properties?

While the Seebeck Coefficient is a critical factor in determining a material's thermoelectric efficiency, it cannot be used on its own to predict the overall thermoelectric properties of a material. Other factors, such as the electrical and thermal conductivity, must also be considered.