Calculating Resistances in Parallel and Series: A Tricky Problem Solved

• Thread starter NotaPhysicsMan
  • Start date
In summary, three identical resistors were connected in parallel, with the equivalent resistance being calculated as 1/R1+1/R2+1/R3. When one resistor was removed and connected in series with the remaining two, the equivalent resistance increased by 700 ohms. After solving for R, it was found that each resistor had a resistance of 600 ohms.
NotaPhysicsMan
oK here it is!

Three identical resistors are connected in parallel. The equivalent resistance increases by 700 ohms when one resistor is removed and connected in series with the remaining two, which are still in parallel. Find the resistance of each resistor.

Ok my thoughts:

Ok in situation one, we have:

1/Req=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3.

In situation two we have:

1/Req +700 ohm=(R1+R2)+1/R3, R1+R2=Reff.

So 1/Req +700 ohm=1/Reff+1/R3.

Ok, now I'm stuck...Any tips welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the resistance of the resistors be R.

For the first situation, we have [itex]R_{eq1} = (\frac{1}{R} + \frac{1}{R} + \frac{1}{R})^{-1}[/itex].

For the second situation, we have [itex]R_{eq2} = R + (\frac{1}{R} + \frac{1}{R})^{-1}[/itex].

And we know that [itex]R_{eq1} + 700\Omega = R_{eq2}[/itex]. Can you take it from here?

--J

Ok let's try:

So I'm assuing I can sub Req2 in for the bottom equation.

Req1+700ohm=R+ (2/R)^-1

From Req1=(3/R)^-1.

Ok so (3/R)^-1 +700 ohm=R +(2/R)^-1

Solve for R.

(-1/R)^-1+700=R
-R+700=R
2R=700
R=350?

You made an error solving for R. Try it again. :smile:

You're good once you get R = 600 ohms.

--J

Ah HA! I got it now. Ok so R/3+700ohm=R+R/2.
Ok now 700=R+R/2-R/3
Then 700=7R/6
And R=600!

Thanks a bunch :)

FAQ: Calculating Resistances in Parallel and Series: A Tricky Problem Solved

1. What is considered a "seemingly difficult problem" in science?

A seemingly difficult problem in science is a complex issue that may not have a clear solution and often requires extensive research and experimentation to understand and address.

2. How do scientists approach seemingly difficult problems?

Scientists approach seemingly difficult problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable components and using the scientific method to systematically study and analyze each aspect in order to find potential solutions.

3. What are some common challenges scientists face when trying to solve seemingly difficult problems?

Common challenges scientists face when trying to solve seemingly difficult problems include limited resources, conflicting data, and the presence of unknown variables that may impact the outcome.

4. How can scientists determine if a seemingly difficult problem is worth pursuing?

Scientists can determine if a seemingly difficult problem is worth pursuing by considering its potential impact on society, the feasibility of finding a solution, and the availability of resources and support from the scientific community.

5. Can seemingly difficult problems ever be fully solved?

While some seemingly difficult problems can be fully solved, others may require ongoing research and development to continue improving our understanding and ability to address them. It is important for scientists to constantly reassess and adapt their approaches in order to make progress on these complex issues.

Back