Why is the formula for magnetic field not divided by length in this image?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for magnetic field and how it is presented in terms of mutual inductance (M) and the total magnetic flux (Φ). The equation for M is stated as M = Φ/I, but the previous step shows the expression with a denominator of 'l' instead of 'I'. The reason for this is because 'l' represents the number of turns per unit length in a solenoid, which is denoted by 'n' in the more commonly used equation B = μ0nI.
nabliat
http://i26.tinypic.com/250tkyh.jpg

the formula for magnetic field
is like they show but its not divided by l
like they did

i can't see a reason why they present it that way
??

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean in the equation for [itex]M[/itex]?

If so, [itex]M[/itex] is the mutual inductance and by definition,

[tex]\Phi_{\text{total}}=MI\implies M=\frac{\Phi_{\text{total}}}{I}[/tex]

no
i am asking about the previous step
when they found the magnetic field
and the expression has l in the denominator

why??

Sorry, the lower case 'L' in your post looked a lot like an upper case 'i' the first time i read it...

[tex]\frac{N_b}{l}[/tex] would give you th number of turns per unit length in the solenoid, which is what [itex]n[/itex] represents in the version you are probably used to seeing: [itex]B=\mu_0 n I[/itex].

1. What is self inductance?

Self inductance is a property of a circuit that describes the ability of the circuit to produce an induced voltage in itself when the current through it changes. It is represented by the symbol L and is measured in units of henries (H).

2. How is self inductance different from mutual inductance?

Self inductance refers to the ability of a circuit to create an induced voltage in itself, while mutual inductance refers to the ability of two separate circuits to create an induced voltage in each other. Self inductance is caused by the changing current in the same circuit, while mutual inductance is caused by the changing current in a separate circuit.

3. What factors affect the value of self inductance?

The value of self inductance is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the material of the core, the shape and size of the coil, and the presence of any nearby magnetic materials. The value of self inductance can also be increased by introducing a ferromagnetic core into the coil.

4. How does self inductance impact the behavior of a circuit?

Self inductance can cause a delay in the current flow through a circuit when there is a change in the voltage. This delay is due to the induced voltage in the circuit opposing the change in current. Self inductance also causes a circuit to resist changes in current, which can result in a voltage drop across the circuit.

5. How can self inductance be calculated or measured?

The value of self inductance can be calculated using the formula L = NΦ/I, where N is the number of turns in the coil, Φ is the magnetic flux through the coil, and I is the current through the coil. It can also be measured using a self-inductance meter or by using an oscilloscope to measure the voltage across the coil when the current changes.