Semi-idealized atomic gas and it's free expansion in vacuum

In summary: So, in summary, the conversation discusses the topic of an atomic gas expanding in vacuum and how equilibrium is maintained. The speaker asks questions about the dominant mechanisms and effects, and is looking for reading recommendations and discussions on the subject. The reply mentions that as long as there are no long range interactions, the expansion is known as a Joule expansion and there will be no temperature changes.
xlines
Hello!

I was thinking about what would happen if an atomic gas was allowed to expand in vacuum and concluded I don't have much of a handle on the subject, so if anyone would help me out - I'd really appreciate it.

So, let's say we have an ideal gas in a container located in vacuum maintained at temperature T. Let say that every atom has only two internal states - ground and excited. Now, I'm assuming this because I want to keep things as simple as possible, but if things are going to complicate due to limited spectrum of excitation, we may as well assume harmonic oscillator spectrum for this internal degree. We chose temperature and excitation energy so that that a significant number of atoms may be found excited (as in, comparable to number of atoms in ground state). Before releasing, I want to go through how is equilibrium maintained. To change internal state, atom, short of any "selection rules", may emitting/absorb photon, or interchange excitation energy with kinetic energy through inelastic collision, right?

* Is there a previous work through which I can determine dominant mechanism of this idealized gas, by including appropriate cross-sections and other detail? Any reading recommendation?

* Einstein's elaboration on black body radiation seems to assert quite strong argument that induced relaxation has same probability as excitation on the same level, making a strong constrain on any atomic theory. Is this mechanism relevant for the case at hand? It seems to me it would be unphysical to ignore induced relaxation. If it is included, does that imply that rate of inelastic collisions that produce excited atoms is different (higher, that is) than rate of inelastic collision which relax colliding atoms?

* For a real gas, is loading of excited states collision dominated or absorption dominated? Or any other mechanism?

* Does Doppler effect due to Maxwell-Boltzmann velocity distribution affect reabsorption effect? It doesn't seem so, but just to be complete ...

Now, we release gas to freely expand in vacuum where it does no work and only way to lose energy is to radiate it away. It will dilute and I’m interested how will it “fall out of equilibrium”, how will coupling between atomic gas and photon gas break up. Specifically, I’d like to know velocity distribution after infinite time. As I see it, two things can happen.

First, that dilution will shut down atomic collision mechanism first - in a sense that, collision will become rare on relevant time scales and atoms can still interact via photon exchange. Than, all energy stored in internal will get radiated away slowly, as in time required for random walking photon to get to the “surface”, but asymptotic velocity distribution will be relatively unaffected by this - it will kinda be “frozen” at M-B shape at temp T or somewhat smaller temperature.

Other thing that could is that dilution would affect photon interaction, so that mean path of photon would become comparable to gas extent, that is - render gas transparent to light at relevant frequency. Furthermore, if average time between collisions becomes larger than decay time of excited states, then inelastic relaxation collision will effectively stop. What happens then is that gas will “bleed” it’s kinetic energy through electromagnetic radiation, by means of collision mechanism feeding internal degrees only to be radiated away, leaving much larger impact of excitation spectrum on asymptotic distribution of velocity. Or will something third happen? Or something in-between?

As you can see, I’m no expert on atomic physics (nor thermodynamics, lol :) and, lacking knowledge or intuition how to sort out orders of magnitude and not wanting to reinvent all this, I’d would be grateful on any discussion on the subject or reading suggestions to start off my with my problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you don't have long range interactions (which is never really true, but usually good enough that the physical effect is tiny) you've describe Joule expansion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule_expansion

Answer: no temperature changes at all. Remember that thermal equilibrium implies that the "correct" amount of kinetic vs. internal/potential energy is already set up, and further collisions, etc. will simply preserve it.

1. What is a semi-idealized atomic gas?

A semi-idealized atomic gas is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of atoms in a gas at low pressures and high temperatures. It assumes that the atoms are point particles with no interactions between them, but also takes into account the volume of the atoms and their collisions with each other.

2. How does a semi-idealized atomic gas behave during free expansion in vacuum?

During free expansion in vacuum, a semi-idealized atomic gas will expand to fill the available space without any external forces acting on it. This is because there are no interactions between the atoms, allowing them to move freely and fill the space evenly.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a semi-idealized atomic gas during free expansion?

The behavior of a semi-idealized atomic gas during free expansion is primarily affected by the initial conditions of the gas, such as temperature and pressure. The volume and shape of the container also play a role in the expansion process.

4. Why is the free expansion of a semi-idealized atomic gas in vacuum an important concept in thermodynamics?

The free expansion of a semi-idealized atomic gas in vacuum is important because it helps to illustrate the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The free expansion process is irreversible and leads to an increase in entropy, demonstrating this law.

5. How does the behavior of a semi-idealized atomic gas differ from a real gas during free expansion in vacuum?

In a real gas, there are interactions between the atoms, and the volume of the particles is not negligible. This means that a real gas will not expand as evenly and smoothly as a semi-idealized gas during free expansion in vacuum. Additionally, a real gas may also condense or form clusters due to intermolecular forces, whereas a semi-idealized gas will continue to expand uniformly.