Semi-Safe Electric Current in Water without explosions?

In summary: I look to learn more about electricity, any forums or online communities/resources where someone might be generous enough to explain to me the forces at play in the system I am creating and how I can experiment with various configurations without hurting myself or someone else?Any tips or insights into working with electricity in water or the basics of working with electricity would be extremely helpful.
lobster3000
Hello,

I am currently trying to create a sculpture that involves having a live electric current running through water inside of a sterilite tub.

The way I would like to go about doing this is very crude, I would like to take an extension cord, cut the end off of it,and stick the live end into the water. I realize this is very dangerous, but I want it to look really dangerous, however... ideally not be actually dangerous to anybody as long as they do not touch the water.

I have already tried this out,I clipped the end off of a three pronged extension cord, separated the wires, stuck that end into the water, plugged the other end into a power strip that was plugged into the wall... and nothing exploded (some people have cautioned be that live electricity coming out of a wall socket could cause an explosion if exposed to water). I had no way of testing though if the electrical current was infact flowing through the water, I separated each of the three cables in the cord to different sides of the tub so I am not sure if they were close enough to actually create a flow of electricity, or perhaps if I were to have touched the water I would have been electrocuted but I am trying to avoid that if at all possible.

Incase you cannot tell, I am a complete newbie to the world of electricity and do not really know where to start in terms of testing how this current is flowing, or understanding how to set this up in a semi-safe way (i would love to avoid explosions or serious electrocutions if at all possible).

I also don't understand the way grounding a signal works, would I be better off using a grounded cord or an ungrounded 2 prong cord in this instance?

Is there anywhere you would recommend I look to learn more about electricity, any forums or online communities/resources where someone might be generous enough to explain to me the forces at play in the system I am creating and how I can experiment with various configurations without hurting myself or someone else?

Any tips or insights into working with electricity in water or the basics of working with electricity would be extremely helpful.

As far as safety precautions go, I have been wearing shoes with rubber soles, rubber gloves, and only using one hand when working on this project. I was told that if I am handling cables with two hands the signal could travel across my body to my heart and stop it so I have been doing my best to avoid that ;)

Please see attached image for example of how the wiring is currently implemented.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg339/scaled.php?server=339&filename=photo1cp.jpg&res=landing

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. We do not discuss dangerous activities here (please re-read the Rules link at the top of the page -- you agreed to abide by those rules when you joined here). This thread is closed.

lobster3000 said:
Hello,

I am currently trying to create a sculpture that involves having a live electric current running through water inside of a sterilite tub.

The way I would like to go about doing this is very crude, I would like to take an extension cord, cut the end off of it,and stick the live end into the water. I realize this is very dangerous, but I want it to look really dangerous, however... ideally not be actually dangerous to anybody as long as they do not touch the water.

I have already tried this out,I clipped the end off of a three pronged extension cord, separated the wires, stuck that end into the water, plugged the other end into a power strip that was plugged into the wall... and nothing exploded (some people have cautioned be that live electricity coming out of a wall socket could cause an explosion if exposed to water). I had no way of testing though if the electrical current was infact flowing through the water, I separated each of the three cables in the cord to different sides of the tub so I am not sure if they were close enough to actually create a flow of electricity, or perhaps if I were to have touched the water I would have been electrocuted but I am trying to avoid that if at all possible.

Incase you cannot tell, I am a complete newbie to the world of electricity and do not really know where to start in terms of testing how this current is flowing, or understanding how to set this up in a semi-safe way (i would love to avoid explosions or serious electrocutions if at all possible).

I also don't understand the way grounding a signal works, would I be better off using a grounded cord or an ungrounded 2 prong cord in this instance?

Is there anywhere you would recommend I look to learn more about electricity, any forums or online communities/resources where someone might be generous enough to explain to me the forces at play in the system I am creating and how I can experiment with various configurations without hurting myself or someone else?

Any tips or insights into working with electricity in water or the basics of working with electricity would be extremely helpful.

As far as safety precautions go, I have been wearing shoes with rubber soles, rubber gloves, and only using one hand when working on this project. I was told that if I am handling cables with two hands the signal could travel across my body to my heart and stop it so I have been doing my best to avoid that ;)

Please see attached image for example of how the wiring is currently implemented.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg339/scaled.php?server=339&filename=photo1cp.jpg&res=landing

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a "semi-safe" electric current in water?

A "semi-safe" electric current in water refers to a level of electric current that is relatively low and therefore poses a lower risk of causing harm or explosions compared to higher levels of electric current. However, it is important to note that any level of electric current in water can still be dangerous and should be approached with caution.

2. How is "semi-safe" electric current determined?

"Semi-safe" electric current is determined by the amount of amperage, or the strength of the electric current, passing through the water. Generally, a current of less than 1 milliampere is considered "semi-safe", while anything above that can pose a risk of harm or explosions.

3. What factors can affect the safety of an electric current in water?

There are several factors that can affect the safety of an electric current in water, including the type of water (saltwater or freshwater), the conductivity of the water, the presence of other substances in the water, and the strength and duration of the electric current.

4. Is it ever safe to have an electric current in water?

No, it is never completely safe to have an electric current in water. Even at low levels, electric currents can still cause harm and should be handled with caution. It is important to follow safety guidelines and take necessary precautions when working with any level of electric current in water.

5. What precautions should be taken when working with electric current in water?

Some precautions that should be taken when working with electric current in water include using low voltage and current levels, using a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet, wearing protective gear, and ensuring proper training and supervision when conducting experiments or projects involving electric currents in water.